Old Bicycle

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m 70 and I’ve always had a bike. Always a Schwinn. In the late 80s I saw people buying and restoring old bikes. I started buying them and restoring them too. They were still available for cheap but were usually in bad shape with missing parts. They are much harder to find now and can get pricey. I got this one for $25 but it was a mess. It’s a 1941 Schwinn model BA-107. It was sold through Louisville Cycle Supply in KY. They used the name “Speedway” on their bikes. I did a full resto on it. I put a new Shimano 7 speed hub on the rear and a front drum brake from an Italian Vespa moped. Notice the bent seat post. These bikes were made for a 12-15 yr old. By bending a new stainless post it is very comfortable for an adult to ride. It also has newly made high pressure tires. It weighs a ton but rides like a Caddy! Not bad for an 82 yr old bike.😎
IMG_2333.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpeg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tip my hat to you for the beautiful restoration on the bike.:occasion14:
Certainly front cover/centre fold material in any biking magazine.
Certainly the one could easily put a couple of zeros on the original purchase price any day. :headbang:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's an outstanding job. I'm 67 and when I was a kid in the Chicago area it was a big deal to be taken to the bike shop for your new bike. My dad said it can only be a Schwinn, because they're the best. My first Schwinn was like what you have here, but smaller and no tank. It was black and white and most likely the Schwinn American probably made in 1963.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beautiful. Very well done. I'm in my 30s but I own a few old Schwinns. I have a first year Stingray Fastback that was originally coppertone. Bought on ebay 20 years ago for $100. Some day I'll get around to restoring it...

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Great color choices. Raspberry and black look super together. Especially with redline skins. Nice job!

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great color choices. Raspberry and black look super together. Especially with redline skins. Nice job!
Thanks! I wanted an odd color the factory never offered. I’ve had enough red, blue, and green bikes. The color is OSHA purple. Or what they call “purple”. One of the colors used to mark utilities.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful bike! Great work. Thanks for posting.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice work. It looks easy but I'll bet there was a good bit of work involved mating the different parts up. I have an unrestored 1954 Schwinn Red Phantom that I found in an abandoned shed years ago. I put new rims and tires on it and rode it for a few years. Maybe I will get around to restoring it one day!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picture :0 FANTASTIC restoration. Do you have a BEFORE restoration picture ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they have hand brakes before ww2 ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPPS my mistake SORRY !!!

They sure did :)

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great picture :0 FANTASTIC restoration. Do you have a BEFORE restoration picture ?

Gare, here's your before pics. My friend in the pic bought this bike from an old guy getting rid of his junk. He paid $25 for it. I tried to buy it from him with no luck. Then one day he was finishing up a bike to take to a show and messed up putting on the decals. I had a set of decals he needed and had him over a barrel. I traded the $25 decal set for the bike! I stripped the black paint off and was surprised to find the Squirt decal on the fender.
a01.JPG
a02.JPG
a03.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm older than than that bike !!
We use to attach trading cards onto the frame so that the spokes would come in contact and make a sould we thought resembled a motorbike. Image the noise of several cars in this configuation:

Don......
PS: Cards, not cars

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's an outstanding job. I'm 67 and when I was a kid in the Chicago area it was a big deal to be taken to the bike shop for your new bike. My dad said it can only be a Schwinn, because they're the best. My first Schwinn was like what you have here, but smaller and no tank. It was black and white and most likely the Schwinn American probably made in 1963.
Huh, I found a picture of this Schwinn I got when it was brand new in 1962. If I recall that kid was pestering me about wanting to try it out.

Attachments

• 20231029_083626.jpg
    20231029_083626.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread