OLD, BIG copper coin, WHAT IS THIS THING ????

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I was at an older park in a town in WI today. The town itself is on the south side of the wi river, and was settled MANY moons ago. I have hit several wheats in this park and went today with my buddy, hoping to get a silver or two(NOPE !!). I did however turn up a large copper "coin". I have an 1842 LC that came from very similar soil, and is nowhere near as aged as this coin appears to be. It is the size of a LC, but not as thick, I can't make out any details on the coin, and these are the best scans that I can post, if you have any ideas, please let me know.

P.S. - There have been expeditions in this general area going back before lewis and clark, This is one of the reasons I am so giddy, but I have NO experience with older, early colonial era coins. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• copper 01.jpg
    copper 01.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 682
  • copper 04.jpg
    copper 04.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OLD, BIG copper, WHAT IS THIS THING ????

Fish!! :o Wow! Isn't that neat that you two would find the same coins!! 8)

Love it!!! You did good! ;) Nana

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OLD, BIG copper, WHAT IS THIS THING ????

These bank token (coins) were used in USA as money, since they appeared during the era known as Hard Times, when Andrew Jackson tightened up the money supply, it seems that besides the "official" Hard Times tokens that are found sometimes that any copper coin of similar weight was used as currency during this period.

I found my 1837 Habitant HalfPenny token in Southern New Jersey, and I am sure it was used as money during the 1833-1843 Hard times.........

Don

Attachments

• 1837Habitant Token.jpg
    1837Habitant Token.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Wow, thanx, guys. That would have been right near the bottom of my guesses list. I think that pretty much makes it my oldest canadian coin.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Way to go. Now that's a neat find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread