My first Gold Coin With My Explorer SE ($2.50)

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Hi All, my wife and I went to a small town just north of Las Vegas on Sunday to do some detecting with my Explorer SE and ended up doing really good.

I found:
4 Indian head pennies
1 seated dime
1 Mercury dime
3 Barber dimes
37 Wheaties
1 Buffalo Nickel
1 Liberty V-Nickel
3 old Canadian coins (2 were silver)
1- 18K heavy mens ring with a diamond
2 Silver Rings

and finally a 1911 $2.50 Indian Gold Piece!!!
It was under a large tree root and was a pain digging it out. I just about gave up on it but I had a feeling it was something good the way it was reading on my Explorer.
The sad part about it is that I scratched the face up pretty good. I always take my time digging my targets but I was in the 110 degree heat / sun and it was, like I said, a big pain to digging under the root.
I also found $9.62 in clad.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 250front.jpg
    250front.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 250back.jpg
    250back.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • foundsilver7-1-07.jpg
    foundsilver7-1-07.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • indians7-1-07.jpg
    indians7-1-07.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,317
  • wheats7-1-07.jpg
    wheats7-1-07.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,335
  • ringsfound7-1-07.jpg
    ringsfound7-1-07.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That indian got Beat up under there :D

Congrats on Joining the Gold Coin Club !

Jeff

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Abe, some really great finds you got there. To bad about the scratch on the $2.50 gold coin but gold is gold and you don't find many of them every day. Thanks for the post.

Desertfox

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a great hunt! Congrats Abe. Even though the gold piece did get scratched, it's an outstanding find. I'd be darn proud to find that coin. Your coins are fantastic, as are the rings.
I'm sure those finds made that heat well worth it. ;D
Great post.
-MM-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That's an incredible day! Too bad about the gold piece; will you go back to that site?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the scratches but it IS still a gold coin...something to be very proud of! Congrats!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes Abe, you had yourself a dream hunt!! That's a coin collection all by itself..nice going!

Nat

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow! :o Yeah, I'd say you did quite good! ;D The Barbers and seated alone would have been awesome...throw in some silver jewelry some IH's and oh yeah a gold coin. ::) ;D ;D

Congratulations. Let's here it for the good old west and old Abe. :)

Bob

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Mirage, what a Fantastic Day you had. Congratulations on the Gold coin. He's beat up a bit, but he is Beautiful!!!!! What a great find. I have never found a gold coin in the 23 years I've been detecting. Not yet anyway. LOL

Again, Congratulations. All the finds are great.

HH, Ringfinder

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Congrats on a GREAT hunt Abe!!!! Completely awesome finds :P even with the scratches...

HH Robert

R

RUDY2003

Excellent diggs' Abe!
Beautiful gold, must feel great....

Keep safe...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin and congrats! Too bad about the scratches but still nice, I would have freaked had I scratched my gold coin! I have scratched plenty of other finds though, LOL, it happens. HH, Mike

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Abe, what an awesome day you had!!!! Wow, all the good silver oldies, and a gold coin to top it off!!!!

Still looking for my first gold coin.

Abe, I have an SE also, but have no idea how a 2.50 gold piece sounds with my machine. Were you hunting in conduct. or ferrous??? What kind of tone did it produce?? low, mid, zinc penny sounding???? Were you in Digital or smartscreen?? Where did the crosshairs lock in on the screen at, or if in digital what were the numbers??

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Eljeef

Greenie
Apr 26, 2005
The elephant's snout.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Fisher Aquanaut 1280x, White's Coinmaster 6000
What the hey! Fantastic hunt! Forget about the numismatic value on that gold piece. Look at the value of the tale you get to tell forever! You can't scratch that. 8) There is the real value. ;D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Awesome find!! Congrats on becoming a member of the Gold Coin Club. Welcome!!!

You had a great day out there, thanks for sharing your inspirational finds. It shows us all that, yes!!! it is possible!! WTG!!!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Captn_SE said:
Abe, what an awesome day you had!!!! Wow, all the good silver oldies, and a gold coin to top it off!!!!

Still looking for my first gold coin.

Abe, I have an SE also, but have no idea how a 2.50 gold piece sounds with my machine. Were you hunting in conduct. or ferrous??? What kind of tone did it produce?? low, mid, zinc penny sounding???? Were you in Digital or smartscreen?? Where did the crosshairs lock in on the screen at, or if in digital what were the numbers??

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Hi Captn, It read 08-10 on the digital screen, I don't use the cross hair screen. I scan in conduct mode / deep setting and the sound was like a heavy gold ring. I hope this help with your questions. Abe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread