Old Blacksmith Forge Recovered and Cherished!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I was hunting Up North by my ghost town when I remembered an old log barn that had been bulldozed over about ten years ago. I figured I would give it a shot although I didnt expect to find much except my favorite rusty horseshoes and scrap metal. After climbing over rocks and brush I was able to pull some debris away and start digging a bit. The detector was just screaming insanely and I decided to shut her off.I started finding some bottles and then caught the leg of something...soon I had four legs and actually thought I had found an iron barstool...Hahahahaha :) Kept moving rocks and some metal and boards and this is what I got! Yeehaw...Now I can make my own horseshoes ;)
This little baby was heavy and I actually had to go back and get the fourwheeler and trailer because I couldnt lug it .I knocked off the wooden pedals while pulling it out but tried to save as much as I could. I dont know if the coal pan had a lid but there are holes around the top that indicate something. The blower underneath is pedal operated and says HERO Canedy Otto Mgf Co.Chicago Illinois
I absolutely love it and plan on putting it by my potting shed with a plant in it.

Attachments

• DSCN2118.JPG
    DSCN2118.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 6,699
  • DSCN2116.JPG
    DSCN2116.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,061
  • DSCN2117.JPG
    DSCN2117.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,757
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Gypsy,

neat.

I can see you digging that up and
lugging it around the woods ;D :D

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70
Wow Gypsy!
I have one just like it on my farm and it still sees occasional use. Yours looks in better shape than mine. WTG!!!
C.J.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
morgan70 said:
Wow Gypsy!
I have one just like it on my farm and it still sees occasional use. Yours looks in better shape than mine. WTG!!!
C.J.
Thats cool Morgan....maybe you could post a pic and show me whats missing. I am trying to find a manual online or picture and havent been able to locate one. I know my wooden pedal pieces are missing, but what is that other wooden piece for?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy,

This is a fantastic find. Wish I could help you with what that handle was for, I looked at forge images, did see something similar. I have the humongous anvil from our blacksmith shop, but many things were stolen when the place was vacant in the transtition of the time the former owner was living elsewhere & the time my FIL bought the property

Hopefully someone can help you with that piece. Excellent idea for flower pots & to cherish forever.

;) RR

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow Gypsy, what a find indeed. I can only imagine how excited you are finding this beauty, congrats and enjoy your new antique!

Smiles!
BDoo

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gypsy,
My wife was asking about you just yesterday. I hadn't been talking about your cool finds lately. Glad to see your out hunting (finding). Maybe you should fire that thing up! You could be a blacksmith.....I know you have enough iron laying around to play with.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
That's really cool gypsy. I love metal working, old foundry stuff, etc. You almost have the coplete rig there. The pedals are oak or hickory, you can replace them. That wooden handle was to adjst the airflow.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If anyone could find me a picture or manual of a complete one.....I would really appreciate it.
Thnaks for the replies.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff, Jim. Beat me again, huh??? ;D ;D

Gypsy, here's the one I posted about earlier. It's similiar...

;) RR

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,234

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome work Gyps!! And that's how it's done. ;)

Bran <><

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*crowd cheering*
*clapping*
i find myself more and more interested in relics
perhaps seal it in wax
like the badge man uses for his stuff
try to keep it from breaking down anymore
*insert dremels noise*

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanks alot guys...Your site really told alot Jim and Riverrat you just rock....I needed that drawing to see how that side shield fit and the wooden lever ....now I can try and find the missing pieces.... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions