✅ SOLVED Old Brake Drum? Water Pump? No Idea!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a couple of old auto parts in the woods today. Here's the first one. Is it a brake drum? Water pump? Guesses?

brake drum.JPG brake drum back.JPG

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ongoing help! With all the input here, I think I now know the exact vehicle it was for. It goes to a 1936 Ford only. That's why it doesn't look exactly like the one that Doubter in MD posted. Here's one on eBay that sold for $40 plus $15.76 shipping, so it might be worth the effort to clean it up and sell it:

1 1936 Ford Rear Brake Drum Hub Rat Hot Rod Coupe Sedan Pickup 12 040 No Res | eBay

Upvote 0

Crazy Old Man

Greenie
Sep 27, 2014
Santee, California
Detector(s) used
"BOUNTY HUNTER"/"TIME RANGER"
Primary Interest:
Other
Contact the MOTOR TRANSPORT MUSEUM in California. They should be able to identify the items in question. Contact information: Motor Transport Museum, 31949 Highway 94, Campo, California 91906 --- [email protected] --- (619)-478-2492. Good Luck, Crazy Old Man

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Okay, I looked at the eBay link and it has 11 photos and even though it came off a Ratrig it is close enough for me, match it is, and most importantly FBT.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
That's not a shear pin keyway setup afterall. The axle must have one spline to fit into the drum and not designed to shear, same as splined shaft but only one spline, nice match.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not a shear pin keyway setup afterall. The axle must have one spline to fit into the drum and not designed to shear, same as splined shaft but only one spline, nice match.

I don't know what you mean. Do you have a picture that supports that? Here is a picture of a VW rear spindle and it's definitely keyed.

keyed spindle.jpg

Granted this isn't a ford rear brake setup but I am sure they were similar. In any case, keyed rear brake spindles/drums were definitely used.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what you mean. Do you have a picture that supports that? Here is a picture of a VW rear spindle and it's definitely keyed.

View attachment 1150563

Granted this isn't a ford rear brake setup but I am sure they were similar. In any case, keyed rear brake spindles/drums were definitely used.
Your photo is of a simple spindle, not a drive axle. The keyway in your photo is for holding the thrust washer from spinning, which keeps the bearing from riding against the spindle nut.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2007
Montana
Mid 30's Pontiac also had a keyed rear brake drum but unlike the Ford Drums, Pontiac doesn't have the internal taper bearing. The wide 5 bolt pattern was mainly used on Ford Trucks but your drum could be from anything between 1936 and 1939 over several Ford models in that era.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regardless of what you think my picture shows, and I believe you are wrong, many early rear brake drums were keyed.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what you think my picture shows, and I believe you are wrong, many early rear brake drums were keyed.
I'm not sure who you are responding too, but, I agree, most early model vehicles used a single keyway rear axle shaft and a corresponding hub to match. It's just that your photo was not of that setup. In most of these designs, the axle shaft was tapered so the hub was wedged tightly onto the axle shaft once the axle nut was torqued to it's proper setting. Also, in most cases, the hub and drum were an assembly, not one single piece. The drum was mounted to the hub and either riveted together or the studs were pressed into the hub and then staked to the drum. Chrysler had some of their early designs just the opposite. They pressed the stud through the drum and then staked it to the hub. Either way, if the drum was ruined or beyond specs, it could be replaced without having to replace the hub also. That saved some cost. The earlier VW type I, II, and III were an exception. Their rear hub and drum were one piece and were replaced as such. Everyone of those I worked on from 1955 and newer used a multi-splined hub......no keyway. It also wasn't a tapered setup. I worked on some of the '54 and earlier VW's too, but, so few of them that I don't remember having the rear brakes apart on those to give you any info on how they were designed. I'm sure you can look it up if you're itching to find out. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tfinder1

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle, Whites DFX, Whites Surfmaster , Minelab GPX 3500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I would use it as and Umbrella holder. Would go nice with a table and chairs.

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I would use it as and Umbrella holder. Would go nice with a table and chairs.

Cool idea, probably would want to cut the studs off though.

Sent from a empty soda can!

Upvote 0

old66

Dec 23, 2013
boneville ga.
Detector(s) used
viper trident under water unit / Garrett GTA 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
IMO cudamark solved it with tihs post, crazyhorse is in the mix too.

I'm not sure who you are responding too, but, I agree, most early model vehicles used a single
keyway rear axle shaft and a corresponding hub to match. It's just that your photo was not of that setup. In most of these designs, the axle shaft was tapered so the hub was wedged tightly onto the axle shaft once the axle nut was torqued to it's proper setting. Also, in most cases, the hub and drum were an assembly, not one single piece. The drum was mounted to the hub and either riveted together or the studs were pressed into the hub and then staked to the drum. Chrysler had some of their early designs just the opposite. They pressed the stud through the drum and then staked it to the hub. Either way, if the drum was ruined or beyond specs, it could be replaced without having to replace the hub also. That saved some cost. The earlier VW type I, II, and III were an exception. Their rear hub and drum were one piece and were replaced as such. Everyone of those I worked on from 1955 and newer used a multi-splined hub......no keyway. It also wasn't a tapered setup. I worked on some of the '54 and earlier VW's too, but, so few of them that I don't remember having the rear brakes apart on those to give you any info on how they were designed. I'm sure you can look it up if you're itching to find out. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO cudamark solved it with tihs post, crazyhorse is in the mix too.

Weird. Hungry Horse actually identified it. Did you mean Hungry Horse when you said crazyhorse? He was hardly "in the mix". He was the first to accurately identify it. You argued against brake drum through most of this thread. I was certain it was a brake drum from the beginning. I just couldn't find an exact match. Kudos to Hungry Horse for nailing it.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I didn't know what it was like you, I knew it didn't use a shear pin which it didn't. And yes Hungry Horse ID'd it but cudamark explained what is really going on.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread