Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Got some cool weather during the rainy season here. (Very Strange this year) Went back to the old war cave, but was looking for some real old relics this time. Wanted to do a little digging in the entrance area of one of the caves and use my shaker box.
Just worked a area of about 3 x 3 feet. Just looked like a area that may have something from all those years. These areas are known for dating back 25,000 years with human finds. I don't expect to find anything that old of course! ;D
After a little digging and a few pieces of pottery and animal bones (I think) Something popped up on the shaker screen that looked very,,very.. familiar! It was a small version of something I found 20 years earlier.. Something made of stone that I thought I would never find another one, but there it was, less than half the size of the original from 20 years before. I was happy with today even if I found nothing else. ..but... A little more digging and out pops another one...This was great! Two that were almost the same, just a little different. I was really happy and thought that was strange that two of these stone tools were in the same hole. .. Well, A couple more scoops of dirt thinking that maybe there was some coins or something else to add to the two small stone items that I had found. I kept checking the hole with my detector just in case something had come into range like a couple of weeks earlier at a other site..(At that site, I had taken of about 4 inches of dirt off the surface and had picked up a bleep about another 6 inches down and dug up a 1600's bronze coin) Never know how deep something may be. Nothing with the detector this time.. One more scoop of dirt and bang on more of those stone tools. ::)This one looked like a small copy of the first one from all those years ago. That really topped of my day! Getting the detector again and checking the dirt pile that I had shifted, just in case something metal had made it through one of the small holes and was in the fine dirt below the shaker box. Bang !! a bronze coin from the 1600's, bigger than one of the screen holes... I guess I had shook it out over the edge of the shaker box..I was happy that I checked the dirt! Nothing more after this and with my back getting stiff from all the bending over, I packed up for a run for the truck through the rain that was comming down very hard by this time.
Anyway that is the story... Just a little story from the far east...
Just for the record..this was on my trip to Tin Buck Tu! You know ..over there in Taiwan!!
PS:::I will also post on (What Is It?) With a few more details and a couple more pictures) Thanks for any help!!
PICTURES:: The large stone tool is the one I found 20 years before..
Thanks and I hope this was not too long.. :'(Thanks for reading..Nice to share things with you guys!

Attachments

• P6110001.JPG
    P6110001.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 781
  • P6110003.JPG
    P6110003.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 775
  • IMGA0092.JPG
    IMGA0092.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 770
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Finds

Attachments

• IMGA0096.JPG
    IMGA0096.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 767
  • P6120006.JPG
    P6120006.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 758
  • P6120011.JPG
    P6120011.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 762
  • IMGA0093.JPG
    IMGA0093.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 760
OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cave area, Dig in foreground

Attachments

• IMGA0090.JPG
    IMGA0090.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 739

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice stuff Dave. You got some cool area's to explore over there. Be careful and good luck.

HH Jer

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
They look like they could be weights of various sizes for a balance scale??? Certainly could be weights for a fish net like Gypsy suggested. Would love to hear what the old timers would say they are...... Nice finds.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indy, I mean Dave ,looks like you are having some high adventure over there. Be carful and watchful for UXOs. I have found a few over here.They are probebly really plentiful where you are at. HH

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok I did not notice the burn marks before, but now that I do...I see I need to look at this harder. As far as a pipe suggestion.,..not sure on that ...would definitely have to be lower class ....and as the Japanese are noted for their extreme care in exquisite decor of personal belongings...I cant see it being something that they would use other than a tool ...... Going to think pipe..for now...but would look more toward opium use ......hmmmmm its a puzzler.....but have no doubt we will crack this baby! Is that burn mark resin? can you tell in the ones you found? try it out as a pipe....does it work? :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dave and looks like fun too! If they aren't fish net weights I wonder what then? HH, Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KILLER STUFF!!!!!!!!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi dave awsome finds and the relics look cool.grave markers may be. lol ;D
and that coin has a good date and i wonder if they had coin shops 400 years age lol.nice to see pics of the dig site and story.happy hunting

tinpan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could those "things" be money????

A

Angela (Australia)

I love the photos Dave! It's nice to see other places. The caves sound very interesting. And if I remember correctly, you once posted a pic of yourself in an environment similar to where I detect in. I just found a Chinese coin in a most unlikey place, on the edge of a mine shaft, of European workings. I was a bit surprised and had to ask, how in the world did it get there? Whether someone long ago dropped it out of their pocket, or a Chinese was employed to work there, I'll never know. Nice finds Dave. :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
You Know ...they also remind me of stone chimes...even with the hole in the sides...but then again if they were covered in chocolate they would remind me of Hersheys Kisses....so that tells you what I know :P :P....then again...alot of things remind me of chocolate.... ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I posted in your other thread on this also, didnt realize there were two going...I am going to say chimes....Edo Era temple chimes . From what I am reading ,I see similiar stone chimnes,only of a larger size. Then once I got into the Edo era realized that many chimes used during temple watercolor exhibits,readings,etc were tiny in size.and worn around the neck or suspended from silky cords. The burn marks also make sense as many temples were burned and these could have been retrieved from them . Also during the world war,people hid temple artifacts in caves......just a start on the theory .,..but going to keep searching for pics and details....fat lady not singing yet..... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread