Old coin purse from the CIA woods with 11 cents

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
This is the third time I've hunted the woods at the Culinary this year. I had my baking for culinary final tonight, and afterwards I had the desire for some treasure hunting. I spent almost 5 hours in the cold, snow dusted cliff in the dark. It was in the 20s, but the ground hasn't frozen yet. Since I've dug up a lot of silver, I focused on 15khz mode and went for deep signals. One thing I learned about 15 khz is that it is very attracted to small objects, such as little bullets. I almost about gave up, but I stuck in to the end and got an almost perfect nickel signal. Since it sounded large and shallow, it was probably a piece of wire or a pulltab. I pushed leaves away, scooped some dirt and found the target was a little deeper with the pinpointer. I pulled out some dirt and was pleasantly surprised to find 2 coins. I look into the hole and there's another coin and what looks like the top part to a coin purse. The fabric must've rotted, leaving behind an 1865 IH and 2 v nickels, an 1892 and 1895. Although it's far from my best day at the site coin wise (I had 4 and 5 silver days), this is the first time i've found a purse spill. The person probably lost it having a picnic because I saw some clam shells in the dirt and dug up a Curtice Brothers Bottlecap nearby. Curtice Brothers had a grocery chain based out of Rochester which opened in 1868. 20 Years later, they started canning and bottling their leftovers and selling them in their stores. I also found out that Curtice Brothers was eventually bought by Birdseye. I rinsed the coins off in the second pic

Attachments

• IMGP0012.JPG
    IMGP0012.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 881
  • Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 914
Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
That sounds like a cold day (night) in He__ for 11 cents. God bless you brother, you're a better man than I am. Give me the desert and heat any day but bring on the cold and I'm a shut-in. LOL Did you pass your baking exam?
HH

Dsertfox

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi SMS88:

Man I love hearing those stories on people find something great out in that crazy weather...but brrrr! I love the hobby but I just need a little warmth to keep me motivated.

Congrats on the finds...I wish you all the luck and look forward to seeing some of your future post.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have "risen" into the hobby rather well 8)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southern_Boy said:
Hi SMS88:

Man I love hearing those stories on people find something great out in that crazy weather...but brrrr! I love the hobby but I just need a little warmth to keep me motivated.

Congrats on the finds...I wish you all the luck and look forward to seeing some of your future post.

Do like I did... bought a case of hand warmers and foot warmers dirt cheap on ebay .... works great.. use two in each boot... this chickie aint letting nothing stop me from detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find SM

Congrats !

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG....nice hunting....

cold weather ? so what dress warm and start sniffin those goodies or someone else will!

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
SMS, I'm a Culinary graduate myself, ( Pastry Chef ). I hope you like to work long hours, weekends and holidays. Thankfully I returned to school and have a normal job. Nice finds and good luck with your career.
What will you specialize in?
CC

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I found one of those Curtice Bros. bottle caps out here in Arizona at a RR camp that dated to the 1870s. The Curtice Bros. bottled fruit and vegetables and patented how the bottle caps were made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions