Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang,

Went to the big field again today and hit a pocket spill by a huge old tree stump. The signal was "ify" and bouncing around but high pitched like silver. The signal said 4" deep. The ground around the tree stump was extremely soft so the shovel jumped down to 4". When I opened the hole I saw the edge of a silver coin and sucked a big breath in. I had gotten only a little clad the rest of the day. After I got the half dollar out, I checked the hole like Jeff always tells me. I got another hit and pulled a merc dime. Yahoooo. As I was closing the hole I got another hit and pulled a wheatie.

A little earlier in the day I got a hit at +14 VDI but a crisp sound so I dug. That is usually can slaw but not often in this big field. Wow was I surprised when I cleaned it off and saw the 5 on the back. These old nickles are great but the date is almost impossible to read.

This is my first old coin pocket spill and I am extremely excited. My hunting buddy, Jeff was thrilled too...I just can't mention the words he used. Something about my luck and his lack of it...lol

1- 1909 Barber half dollar
1- 1925 Merc dime
1- 1870 5 cent piece
1- 1934 Wheat cent

100_0752.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0763.jpg

100_0762.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0768.jpg

100_0771.jpg

100_0766.jpg

100_0773.jpg

SKD

Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That's an excellent return for the effort, I'd say! That Merc is a pretty coin, especially for the date.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey SKD , Happy new year ! That pocket spill is pretty much exactly what I'm dreaming

of every minute of every day and when sleeping too. You've probably only covered a tiny fraction

of the big field right ? How exciting ! Argentium.

OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kibitzr said:
Nice pocket spill find Terry ,WTG!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John
Thanks John, are you still chatting online. Never see you.

SKD

OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Man Id love to find a Pocket spill like that, I found 2 wheats and a memorial in one hole once but thats it. Quite a wide range of coin dates.

Im thinkin Thats a Teasure map scratched into the barber, HMMMMMM

Treasure map you say...hummmm Lets see, if I align it to north. I don't know what it is; but it is interesting!

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome spill SKD!! Congrats on your great finds ... :headbang:

Carver

Dec 19, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
M6
Great finds!!!! If you really want to see the date,,,,,,,give that nickel a soak overnight in Worchestershire sauce,,, it usually will bring the date right out!!!!

OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carver said:
Great finds!!!! If you really want to see the date,,,,,,,give that nickel a soak overnight in Worchestershire sauce,,, it usually will bring the date right out!!!!
I already soaked it in olive oil and nothing. The date was slightly visible now I can't see it. Maybe I will try the sauce trick.

SKD

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one great pocket spill...hell I would be doing back flips over just the Barber Half.

NJ

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice silvers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread