Old Coins

jjohnston1946

May 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, from Dickinson, Texas!

I have a couple of coins I'd like to learn more about. One is a 1942S Mercury dime, which is the rarest of the Mercury dimes. I'm new at all this, but I'd guess it to be in good condition.

The other coin is a 1726 Hamburg one schilling piece. It's pretty worn, but you can see all the important information. There are no 'bites' out of the edge...it's perfectly round, just smooth with no real edge.

Can anyone tell me values on these coins? I've only found foreign sites, and I don't read the language!

This looks like a really good site, with lots of helpful information and helpful people who don't mind giving advice. I'm looking forward to exploring it more!

Thanks!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's some info on your one shilling.
Hamburg: 1 Schilling 1726 IHL 1 Schilling Hamburg Coin coins and medals
Condition is a major factor in determining value. Without seeing the coin, we have no idea of its condition.

The US 42S dime is not a rare coin, nor does it have much value beyond the intrinsic value of its silver content. On the other hand, if the 42S were in MS-63 or better condition, it would have a premium value over its melt value.
Welcome to Treasure Net !
Don.....

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may be thinking of the 42/41 overstrike in the date, otherwise a regular 42 dime is basically worth melt unless a high MS grade.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
J

jjohnston1946

May 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Don!

iPhone 3 017.JPG iPhone 3 040.JPG iPhone 3 038.JPG iPhone 3 026.JPG iPhone 3 024.JPG iPhone 3 022.JPG iPhone 3 021.JPG iPhone 3 020.JPG iPhone 3 019.JPG iPhone 3 041.JPG
Here's some info on your one shilling.
Hamburg: 1 Schilling 1726 IHL 1 Schilling Hamburg Coin coins and medals
Condition is a major factor in determining value. Without seeing the coin, we have no idea of its condition.

The US 42S dime is not a rare coin, nor does it have much value beyond the intrinsic value of its silver content. On the other hand, if the 42S were in MS-63 or better condition, it would have a premium value over its melt value.
Welcome to Treasure Net !
Don.....

OP
OP
J

jjohnston1946

May 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent a reply with pictures of the Hamburg coin and the 42S. I'm not up to speed on condition yet. Where can I view the different grades of condition?

I also sent pictures of some other coins: 42D Mercury, 49 Roosevelt and a nickel that is miss stamped on the back. The raised part on the rim blocks out the word Unum. Where the flash reflected is a raised area that extends toward the dome of Monticello. I couldn't find anything on any miss stamps on nickels.

Thanks so much for your help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread