Old Coke Type?

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
So I found this old Coke bottle today. I’m not having much luck getting a date or type for it. I’ve never seen one like it so it must be older than me. On the bottom it says ROOT and the back says This Bottle Not Sold. It’s a heavy glass and the seam stops before the lip so I figured the lip was added. It’s a lite green in color. IT’s from Atlanta Georgia. Any information would be a start for my search on it. Any questions or more pictures needed just let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1790.jpeg
    IMG_1790.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 12

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Copied from the other thread)
The "ROOT" is the glass maker, in Terre Haute, Indiana, in the early 1900s. More info here. From what I understand, the "THIS BOTTLE NOT SOLD" was meant to mean the bottle was the property of the Coca-Cola company, and could not be sold or refilled and used for some other purpose. Like how you used to get a "deposit" back on the bottle. You were buying the contents, but just renting the bottle.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
My bottle guy says that’s an $80-$120 bottle. Probably less with chip.
Definitely has some case wear on the bottom to. I tried to see a date but nothing visible. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I've seen an Atlanta Straight Sided Coke go for about $40 in that condition. Its a really good find and a keeper!
I didn’t know Coke came in different colors or I would of checked the other bottles I saw. Maybe next trip, thanks

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this old Coke bottle today. I’m not having much luck getting a date or type for it. I’ve never seen one like it so it must be older than me. On the bottom it says ROOT and the back says This Bottle Not Sold. It’s a heavy glass and the seam stops before the lip so I figured the lip was added. It’s a lite green in color. IT’s from Atlanta Georgia. Any information would be a start for my search on it. Any questions or more pictures needed just let me know. Thanks
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The normal coke bottle shape know as the hobble skirt bottle was first patented November 16, 1915. After that all Coca Cola bottles were the same. Before that all coke plants had their own bottles made. Many are brown like beer bottles. For example Cumberland was the first coke plant in Maryland (1903) and produced several varieties of brown coke bottles before going to the light green color. Later when coke began making different flavors (orange and grape) the Cumberland bottles were the light green color and were labeled C C SODA. Congratulations on the nice recovery. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great keeper no matter what price is on it. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Great keeper no matter what price is on it. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.
I contacted the property owner to see if he wanted it. He actually said for me to keep it in my collection. I researched some other Coke bottles I’ve found and most are from the 40s and worth a little but still worth bringing home. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread