✅ SOLVED Old collect tag

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bradshaws owned the farm before my grandad purchased it. Trying to figure out what kind of tag this is...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430709226.935449.jpg

Any speculation or ideas about what purpose this tag might have served is appreciated!!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an idea but the numbers could have been the phone # and they put collect as the method to call, I believe it's a dog tag.Not sure at all just a guess phone numbers used to be different than todays phone # system.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jameyjg01

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom remembers the old party lines that had a 4 digit number, this is well older than that just due to the known timeline

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jameyjg01

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should add that the house was built sometimes in the 1800s and is not located in Jackson.

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a name plate off of a dog collar. The number is the phone number and if the dog is lost and found the finder is instructed that they can call collect if it had been long distance. I put name plates like that on all my squirrel dogs and it is something that has been done for a long time...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jameyjg01

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might have been someone from Jackson in there family, so they might have had longer numbers. FL could have stood for fone line? Size is right for a dog also. Back-of-the-boat and d2 might be on to something

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a phone number. When I was a kid in the 70's our number was BL 54343. The 'BL' indicated we were part of the BLackburn exchange area.

I remember the secretary at the elementary school repeating the number back to me when I went to the office to call my mom. She said, "Blackburn 5 4343"? I said, "BL".

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jameyjg01

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a phone number. When I was a kid in the 70's our number was BL 54343. The 'BL' indicated we were part of the BLackburn exchange area.

I remember the secretary at the elementary school repeating the number back to me when I went to the office to call my mom. She said, "Blackburn 5 4343"? I said, "BL".

DCMatt

Makes sense to me. The FL was throwing me off... Anyone know of a method of researching old phone numbers???

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When there was an operator, she would ask, "Number please," and the number would be something like 649J. Then they got the dial phones, and even into the push button phones, the numbers started with a word, I remember ours was LIberty 3-5479. You only used the first two letters when dialing. O was for operator, and you still got a live person, and they would help any way they could. I remember we wanted to call someone that lived way out in the pucker brush in Nevada, and I had no idea of the number. Dialed O, told the operator the problem, gave a brief description of where they lived, and of course the name, she called an operator in Reno, I'm listening, that operator called another in the county she thought they lived, and that operator came up with the number. I got the son of the fellow I was trying to call, but he was a Jr. so couldn't expect more than that. Son gave me the proper phone number. All for free. Times are changing, and not necessarily for the better.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally found it. FL = FLanders

BTW - Named exchanges started in 1955.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CA (castle) was ours, then 6-3237 that evolved into 226. I wonder if the FL before the number stands for or eventually stood for 352 as their prefix?...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jameyjg01

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430758983.367525.jpg

Found this timeline, it gives about a 2 year window for the tag to be lost because my family purchased the farm in 1947

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CA (castle) was ours, then 6-3237 that evolved into 226. I wonder if the FL before the number stands for or eventually stood for 352 as their prefix?...d2

Yes. FL = 35. So the number today would be 352-8019 with whatever area code they use in Jackson, MS these days.

Good stories, good thread, good relic with some history.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jameyjg01

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have definitely enjoyed the stories and learned something new today! Thanks to everyone!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread