Old Coppa at sidewalk ripout.... ID HELP..Update with cleaned pics!!!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
Well they are just about done with the sidewalk ripout at my town hall. I got home from the Jets game at like 6 so i decided to hit it for alittle. It got dark fast but my second signal was somethin good. It read pretty crappy on my whites but it looks to be an old Coppa. Its alittle larger then a nickle, but smaller then a quarter. It pretty thin to. I can see a bust facing left of a man that looks to be rather young. The figure is facing the word georgous I believe. The back has a crown with a harp under it. I know ive seen the design before but i cant remember where. . Any info would be great. Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• DSC02322.JPG
    DSC02322.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 800
  • DSC02323.JPG
    DSC02323.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC02324.JPG
    DSC02324.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC02325.JPG
    DSC02325.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 802
  • DSC02335.JPG
    DSC02335.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC02330.JPG
    DSC02330.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC02336.JPG
    DSC02336.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Re: Old Coppa at sidewalk ripout.... ID HELP.......

From what you described it sound like you found a 'North Wale Halfpennies' note in the 08 'Red Book', page 80, valued at $110.00. Wish picture was clear for a better ID on your find. If right, WTG on a great find... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 752
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 753

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

congrats.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

49er said:
From what you described it sound like you found a 'North Wale Halfpennies' note in the 08 'Red Book', page 80, valued at $110.00. Wish picture was clear for a better ID on your find. If right, WTG on a great find... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thought it was too atfirst but its not. I looked at it closer...

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008

Nice find ,and as a dolphins fan it hurts me to say nice win today.I must live in the wrong town here in ct, you find all the goods keep at it.I think im gonna borrow the jack hammer from work and do my own sidewalk tear outs.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

eggbag said:
Nice find ,and as a dolphins fan it hurts me to say nice win today.I must live in the wrong town here in ct, you find all the goods keep at it.I think im gonna borrow the jack hammer from work and do my own sidewalk tear outs.

LOL you rnot kiddin. To be honest im rootin for the fins since you got my boy pennington

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008

No joke, there are only a few of us fins fans in these parts that dare to show ourselves in public. Pennington looked great last week and even all you jets fans must have been lovin it almost as much as us fish lovers.

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC

Think it might me an Irish Farthing. Here is a similar picture, trying to find one like yours. (yea, I know the face is different)

f3310-r.JPG

f3310-o.JPG

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

SCMDing said:
Think it might me an Irish Farthing. Here is a similar picture, trying to find one like yours. (yea, I know the face is different)

f3310-r.JPG

f3310-o.JPG

I cleaned the coin up and the face looks alot like that one. Il post the cleaned pics soon.
Thanks
Keith

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That coin looks like a good canadate for the electrolysis bath. Might come out nice.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ReidMan said:
That coin looks like a good canadate for the electrolysis bath. Might come out nice.

No electrolysis on this coin! 

Peroxide method instead.

Iron Patch--take a look at the bottom of the bust on both coins...I'm not sure the ID is correct yet, but it is Very close.

Buckleboy

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like an old coin whatever it is. Can't wait to see the cleaned up version

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC

ReidMan said:
Iron Patch--take a look at the bottom of the bust on both coins...I'm not sure the ID is correct yet, but it is Very close.
Buckleboy

I agree. That is what I was looking at when trying to find a match. I think that we will figure it out when we see the cleaned up pics. I am thinking some variation of Irish farthing/halfpenny/penny. And I also agree, peroxide instead of electrolysis.

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

you got a sweet find there whatever it turns out to be can't wait for the cleaned up pics

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
ReidMan said:

No electrolysis on this coin!

Peroxide method instead.

Buckleboy

I'm not sure either but in person it should be easy to say one way or the other. I am pretty sure it's not a normal Irish issue, if not a Washington probably a Condor/trade token, or Evasion. There are several North Wales Evasions but I haven't seen a similiar one, not saying it doesn't exist. There is definitely enough to correctly ID the coin.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
I'm not sure either but in person it should be easy to say one way or the other. I am pretty sure it's not a normal Irish issue, if not a Washington probably a Condor/trade token, or Evasion. There are several North Wales Evasions but I haven't seen a similiar one, not saying it doesn't exist. There is definitely enough to correctly ID the coin.

Yes, there is enough to ID. I hope this one is a NW Evasion--THAT would be a cool find for the states. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

Yes, there is enough to ID. I hope this one is a NW Evasion--THAT would be a cool find for the states. ;D

With the Exception of the Washington most North Wales coppers aren't anything special. It's like a regal issue Geo. III halfpenny to a State copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread