Old Coppa at sidewalk ripout.... ID HELP..Update with cleaned pics!!!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
Well they are just about done with the sidewalk ripout at my town hall. I got home from the Jets game at like 6 so i decided to hit it for alittle. It got dark fast but my second signal was somethin good. It read pretty crappy on my whites but it looks to be an old Coppa. Its alittle larger then a nickle, but smaller then a quarter. It pretty thin to. I can see a bust facing left of a man that looks to be rather young. The figure is facing the word georgous I believe. The back has a crown with a harp under it. I know ive seen the design before but i cant remember where. . Any info would be great. Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• DSC02322.JPG
    DSC02322.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 800
  • DSC02323.JPG
    DSC02323.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC02324.JPG
    DSC02324.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC02325.JPG
    DSC02325.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 802
  • DSC02330.JPG
    DSC02330.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC02336.JPG
    DSC02336.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC02335.JPG
    DSC02335.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Coppa at sidewalk ripout.... ID HELP.......

DJ_Quinn said:
Somebody nailed it, it is an Irish farthing. If you see a harp on a coin, it's Irish.

I just noticed there was a picture for size comparison, if it's farthing size that eliminates the Washington idea.

Just because it has a harp doesn't make it as easy as just Saying Irish ____. There are many different types with harps. Was there an exact match made the the bust? If farthing in size it is much less interesting, unfortunately.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
I'm not sure either but in person it should be easy to say one way or the other. I am pretty sure it's not a normal Irish issue, if not a Washington probably a Condor/trade token, or Evasion. There are several North Wales Evasions but I haven't seen a similiar one, not saying it doesn't exist. There is definitely enough to correctly ID the coin.

Yes, there is enough to ID. I hope this one is a NW Evasion--THAT would be a cool find for the states. ;D

With the Exception of the Washington most North Wales coppers aren't anything special. It's like a regal issue Geo. III halfpenny to a State copper.

I don't think I've seen a NW Evasion posted that was found in the States since I've been on Tnet... So maybe not a special copper, but a cool find for here, I think.

-Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
I'm not sure either but in person it should be easy to say one way or the other. I am pretty sure it's not a normal Irish issue, if not a Washington probably a Condor/trade token, or Evasion. There are several North Wales Evasions but I haven't seen a similiar one, not saying it doesn't exist. There is definitely enough to correctly ID the coin.

Yes, there is enough to ID. I hope this one is a NW Evasion--THAT would be a cool find for the states. ;D

With the Exception of the Washington most North Wales coppers aren't anything special. It's like a regal issue Geo. III halfpenny to a State copper.

I don't think I've seen a NW Evasion posted that was found in the States since I've been on Tnet... So maybe not a special copper, but a cool find for here, I think.

-Buck

For sure. I was talking book value but even if it was a Washington, that condition would still put it in the ranks of being a better find than money coin. So really it's close to the same, just nice seeing Washington on something. I'm happy finding any copper I don't have and do like counterfeits/evasions/forgeries.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

harps normally mean money made for irish use --but money being money they travel around quite a bit --

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC

It is definitely possible that it is a NW Evasion. It is hard to tell, but the chin on the dug coin seems to be more pointed than any of the coins I have looked at. Could just be the condition or all the crud on the coin!!

AT.0422.002.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC

Mackaydon said:
My candidate:
George II regal copper (1736-1760)
http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILLED.HTM
(scroll down)

Yea, I was thinking that as well. Definitely in that coin type. And actually, now that I look closer, it is more likely a George based on the clear V shaped U in the word Georgius. The farthings are U shaped and it is clear on the dug coin that it is V shaped. Good work ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon said:
My candidate:
(scroll down)

Think I will reverse course and agree. That didn't strike me as a Geo. II bust but looking I think it is very close. If it's a farthing maybe that's why my brain went a little fuzzy seeing it. Still a good find and I love seeing a Georgie show up when I find a new site. Just seeing one found makes me want to get out.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SCMDing said:
Mackaydon said:
My candidate:
(scroll down)

Yea, I was thinking that as well. Definitely in that coin type. And actually, now that I look closer, it is more likely a George based on the clear V shaped U in the word Georgius. The farthings are U shaped and it is clear on the dug coin that it is V shaped. Good work ;)

And also the lock of hair that looks like an ear on the dug coin...

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great find, you got some great coins out of the sidewalk repairs WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Very sweet copper! :thumbsup: Nice going on the sidewalk tear out!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread