RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I have been hitting the local area pretty steadily and hard for the past 8 months. I enjoy detecting the beaches but "prefer" to cut plugs for vintage coins and old relics.

The problem is and I am too stubborn to admit that where I live it's very difficult to find old dirt. You know what they say (who is they? LOL) LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! Of course I literally watched and re-watched at least a hundred videos online and get VERY fired up viewing the amazing finds PEOPLE IN OTHER STATES come up with on a pretty regular basis and then I leave my business early the next day and venture off for more clad, pull tabs & can slaw.

I am putting this out there in hopes that maybe there are some people on here from my area that "might" be able to point me in the right direction of some "old dirt" spots they know of that I might be missing? If not that's OK too as I will always make time to get out and hunt and one of these days I will choose a location that knocks my flip flops off! I am thinking about hitting more creeks and waterway areas. They will not be vast large areas of land but I figure they have to be old!

Maybe I should just officially change my detecting name to "OneMoreHoleTommy!"

Happy Hunting to you all and any thoughts for those of you who have been in my particular situation would be very appreciated.

RacerX99 out....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are vast parts of Florida where , if I'm not mistaken, were sparsely populated before the 1940s. And only became urban "sprawl" in the 1950s to the present. As it became a retirement mecca state. And other Florida hunters (except those perhaps in the very northern part of the state) have lamented the same thing, that silver on land is hard to find.

Add to that, that even when you find relicky locations, the terrain is invariably jungly swamp grass sort of soil.

I spent a week in the Ocala area once, and ..... at least in the area we were at (visiting in-laws), I couldn't imagine treking into the forested undeveloped areas to try to hunt (if I were to have known of some old site or cellar hole or something). Just appeared to be mosquito infested jungle-type terrain everywere !

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to detect old grounds as well for old coins, jewelry, and relics. Everywhere it's hard to find old spots where there's not a housing addition or pavement on top of the good old targets, you do have a chance of finding real old stuff in your area though as there was Spanish forts and French forts as well I think. I live in Indiana and hope to find an old Spanish coin here some day, I seen them found here before but it's real rare. HH

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding old spots are harder to come by as progress continues to build up older areas. This means we have to do some homework. Here is an example of how I use older Sanborn maps to match up todays footprint of city blocks. The first image is from a 1913 Sanborn map of a few streets you may be familiar with, in Clearwater. Note the City Jail (pointer)and a lunchroom across the street. The second image is the same block as it looks today. Of course it is built up and not a very good site to take your detector to...but heh, I can't give you the perfect site...you will have to work a little to find one. But you get the idea, this could just as easy have been an empty lot in the modern image. Look for old ball diamonds, parks and homesites and you may just find a nicely hidden site to rediscover as long as nobody else found it first.Hope this helps.

DSC00011.JPG DSC00012.JPG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with trying to find old dirt, is your standing on it. Civilizations have always built upon old areas because the old timers found the best location they could and future generations tore down what was there and rebuilt new structures, now granted they expanded outward but you need to find maps of where the town was originally and you will find some of the tallest buildings there now because it is the heart of the city.I live close to Fresno Ca. and down town they were expanding the hospital and when they dug up some of the old roads they actually found the trolley tracks from the 1800's and they just paved over them.So basically all your old dirt is just under the pavement and concrete so look for little pocket parks and canals and waterways like you are thinking those will probably be your best bets.Also you might need to go door knocking, so research where the oldest houses are and wear out your knuckles.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent a week in the Ocala area once, and ..... at least in the area we were at (visiting in-laws), I couldn't imagine treking into the forested undeveloped areas to try to hunt (if I were to have known of some old site or cellar hole or something). Just appeared to be mosquito infested jungle-type terrain everywere !
htg
...and in that mosquito infested jungle are mastodon teeth and bones, native American artifacts, Seminole and Civil War forts and relics sunken riverboats and alligators, snakes, wild hogs , and highly feral rhesus monkeys.
You missed out on an adventure.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remind me to post here later... heh

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....You missed out on an adventure.

No doubt I did :) Didn't have my detector anyhow (was only there for a family issue). But just "projecting" from my west central coast CA experiences, I just poo-poo'd all the jungle terrain. I'm in "chaparral" (boom and bust rain cycles) type terrain. And if we have any river bottom type "jungle" landscape, then even if something historic were to have been there (picnic grounds, cellar holes, stage stop, etc...), then we can usually kiss it goodbye.

But no doubt if someone is local, they will find silver, oldies, etc... With enough research to the high ground spot ?

OP
OP
R

RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the contrary, there is plenty of old relics and "loot" from the fleets we're all aware of but the sad part is I am on thee other side of the State. In the area where I live the "old dirt" has mostly been covered with cement so again you just have to keep exploring. Thanks for your reply Man and I will keep at it of course.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...

Seems you are in need of a little "history lesson" on this area...

Did you know... that where you are IS the OLDEST spot of European visitation IN THE ENTIRE U.S. ?
America's FIRST explorers AND first interactions with natives both hostile and otherwise were all around you.

Did you also know that this area was a stop point for water and trade ?
The earliest maps known show this area on ALL of them.

So much happened here yet so much is unknown due to lack of any official records etc.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coast is WAY older in historical action.

OP
OP
R

RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes AARC, I am very aware of the history of Florida and the local area where I live. Most of the local locations near me you're referring to are now designated Historical Preserves and of course they do not allow any detecting. For example.... Ft Desoto State Park, this is a amazing park with lots of history and old dirt. The problem is that they DO NOT allow any detecting anywhere other than the couple different beaches within the park. Now, that is a bummer. I do very much appreciate the feedback though Man!

OP
OP
R

RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man Wingmaster. I lived in Indiana years ago and the places we use to frequent to fresh water fish like "Linton" would be a great place to hunt. Lots of un-touched wooded areas and then of course all the farms and and old homes to gain permission at. If you're not familiar with Linton just google it. There are a ton of old day strip mines out there that are now filled with water with good fishing/camping etc and the woods around there would again be a great place to hunt. Good luck on getting that old Spanish coin and HH Man

OP
OP
R

RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice and tips Villagenut (coll name by the way!) I have done the same thing for some older neighborhoods here with little luck but the luck is mostly finding curb patches to hunt. Don't get me wrong I have found some silvers but just nothing too old like I see people digging up regularly in other states. Either way I will keep on exploring as again it's the thrill of the hunt for me and I know eventually I will luck out. Thanks again for your feedback. It is much appreciated! HH to you Sir!

OP
OP
R

RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks "Back of the Boat!" I do have some old churches that I have gained permission to hunt at and have had some luck but again nothing too old found as of yet. I definitely am researching for old homesteads that I will attempt to gain permissions at. Time will tell. For those who never have had to deal with failure in my opinion just aren't trying hard enough. That's my belief and the good Lord knows I have had my shares of failures from time to time. LOL HH to you Sir and thanks for responding!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok...

Seems you are in need of a little "history lesson" on this area...

Did you know... that where you are IS the OLDEST spot of European visitation IN THE ENTIRE U.S. ?
America's FIRST explorers AND first interactions with natives both hostile and otherwise were all around you.

Did you also know that this area was a stop point for water and trade ?
The earliest maps known show this area on ALL of them.

So much happened here yet so much is unknown due to lack of any official records etc.
...and three years ago in the Ocala/Silver Springs/ Marion county area a Desoto campsite was found yielding pottery, chain mail links, and Spanish coins.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I definitely am researching for old homesteads that I will attempt to gain permissions at...
Research the homesteads that were raided by the Union stationed at US FORT MYERS. Many a cache was buried during the War of Northern Aggression.
Still a lot of "old dirt" in Citrus, Levy, Marion, north Lake, western Volusia, Clay and Putnam counties.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread