Old farm gives up ~DROP DEAD GORGEOUS~ Indian Penny!!!!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the way home from work today I took a back road I don't normally take hoping to find a new hunting spot. I saw an old farm with one of the hugest trees I have ever seen in the front yard, this place was old. I knocked and asked permission and the lady said go ahead.

Off I went, very first signal was a 1916 wheat, hmm not bad. This yard was pretty clean, another wheat, then I get a deep iffy signal and an amazing, almost uncirculated looking 1889 indian comes out.....unreal, the detail on this coin is crazy. :hello2:
The pictures don't do it justice.

Then I got a shallow dime signal and I got a silver but it was in a small clump, so I brought it home like the picture. The suspense about killed me, :laughing7:
it turned out being a 1941 merc.

Got 2 more deep indians, 1887, and 1904. and 5 wheats. The 1887 is almost as nice as the 1889, but not quite. I am pretty pleased. Takes me to 24 indians for the season!
:thumbsup:

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one niiiiiiiiice Indian head. I have found a few, when stationed in the States, but none so nice as that.
(I have a theory.....when they come from the mint, and are unc, they have some kind of oil on them.....so when they
go into the ground, just a few people short of the bank they were issued in, some/muuch of that oil is still on the coin,
hence the nice result when we dig them up. Anyone else thought much about that? And, I have found a few,
here in Korea, same condition......looked like they were straight out of the bank, into the ground. Please, let me know
your thoughts.)
Again, a beautiful find/couple of finds. I would go back to that nice ladies home and hunt some more......
Seems that there are going to be coins. :thumbsup:

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I do believe that is indeed the prettiest IH I've seen dug out of the ground. congrats

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy Cow!!!!! look at that detail. That is one awesome IH to be dug. My Indians here in Tennessee don't come out that clean. Great finds.

Dig-it-all

Jan 30, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
DFX w/ 12x15 sef coil, sunray pinpointer
Wow, perfect. most of mine are so toasted i can barely get a date off them. congrats!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is beautiful. :icon_thumright:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
That is truly a gorgeous coin. CONGRATULATIONS!

I think I have found one similar, but many years ago while I was hunting in John Day, Oregon. Came out of the ground in front of the library there. Coin was less than an inch deep, on top of a alluvial rock base, so well-drained. I'm going to have to look for it again, because of the detail on it. Plus, I used soft Velvet grass in the lawn to clean the coin with, so it now has an interesting greenish patina on it. I think mine was an 1891, so yours still is the big winner!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Truly the Best of all Dug Indians. Superb Condition. I would put that in a glass case with a tiny spotlight on it. :laughing7:

Killer find!
Baldingboy

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!!! Nice one! The IH is one one of my favorites, I've dug two so far this season, a 1900 and a 1903. Niether even close to your's in condition. Congrats!!!!!

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
That's one beautiful Indian. The others aren't bad either.

Bob

Intodeep

Mar 14, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350, Wilson Neuman Daytona
Congrats on the sweet IH........ looks like you dug it out of a 1889 wormhole......... HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice, I have no patience with reeded silver edges in dirt clumps.....even carrying a camera, i have to break open the clump and forget the camera.....Congrats!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, Congratulations on a Very, Very fine coin. They don't come any better than that our of the ground.

Guess you took my advice and are taking different ways home. I still do that, even if it takes me a little past where I wanted to go. In fact I just spotted a pump out in a field, I'm gonna have to check that out. It must be an old home site, I hope.

Keep the finds coming,
HH, Ringfinder
(Denny)

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
Terry, Congratulations on a Very, Very fine coin. They don't come any better than that our of the ground.

Guess you took my advice and are taking different ways home. I still do that, even if it takes me a little past where I wanted to go. In fact I just spotted a pump out in a field, I'm gonna have to check that out. It must be an old home site, I hope.

Keep the finds coming,
HH, Ringfinder
(Denny)
yes Denny, whenever I have time and the etrac is in the trunk I go down old back roads and skip the highway!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
without a doubt the best condition dug coin i have ever seen! that is crazy! congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread