Old Farm House Finds

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
My wife and I recently metal detected an old farm that had become a construction site. We used an MXT with a DD Shooter coil 4”x6”. We spent 3 separate times searching the site. As we remember the site there was a home circa 1940’s or 50’s with a barn in back reputed by the locals to be 100 years old. I’d put the coordinates for the barn and the house into my GPS so I could get right on top of the structures and work out from there. The site was pretty messed up with earth moved into piles and some debris piles here and there; the house and barn were completely razed. The spot where we did most of our searching had been worked with about 2” thick hard packed dirt over what was clearly the original grade because of the dead grass we saw. We started looking at the house first and I handed the detector off to my wife while I tried the GPS coordinates for the barn. I discovered that the coordinates for the house was 1” off on longitude because I knew the barn was due south of the house but the funny thing was we were finding stuff where the bad coordinate was.
That night I got home and started looking at the maps and I discovered that there were two additional structures on the topo map that weren’t on the aerial – they predated the aerial survey but not the topo, maybe they could have been structures that were older than the house and barn we knew. One of the structures we couldn’t do because it was part of a factory next to the site.
In the morning I started to look over some of the booty we got from the site. I was curious about a button my wife had found that had kind of iridescence to it. When I began to look at the back of the button I discovered a patent date of Dec. 28 1880. I knew then that we were on to something older than we thought possible in a place 4 miles out of a town of no more than 30,000 – rural U.S.A. even today let alone in Victorian times.
We finally got to get back out to the site. I was having a bad detector day and had discovered that I inadvertently switched the ground tract switch on the detector to Trac position which if you pass it over the target again and again, it will cancel what you’re looking for. I could see a coin right on the surface of the hard pack and the detector wasn’t even picking it up. So I picked the coin up and couldn’t make head or tails of it and put it in my pocket.
When we got home we discovered that the coin was an 1884 V-Nickel which fit real nice into our Victorian era finds for the farm house. The coin is pretty beat up and it’s not something that we would sell so my wife cleaned it with Lime Away which did a fair job of improving its luster.
We went back out and found some more stuff but nothing quite like the coin and the button. If we could only have gotten out to the site before the other lost building site was under the new factory and got there before the ground was disturbed by construction!! We can’t go back out to the site because construction will be in the way – another lost time capsule bites the dust.
image002.jpg

image004.jpg

1. 1884 V-Nickel found on the surface. VDI = 16 or 5 Cent, Ring in Coin and Jewelry Mode on paper on ground.
2. Black Glass button and specifically a Deknatel (http://www.buttoncountry.com/Deknatel2.htm ). The front is shown as a kind of curved bowl with a wave impression off to one side. On the back is stamped Pat. Dec. 28, 1880. VDI was variable from 0 to 6 registering as anything from Foil to Button in Relic Mode on paper on ground; it was about 2” under – ground level under hard pack.
3. Probably a dime that got ran over by a train.
4. A fragment of something metal curved like a bowl.
5. “J. Rodgers” spoon.
6. “Boss of the Road” clothing rivet.
7. Thimble size 11.
8. Compact in two halves? When we opened it up it contained some kind of powder.

Upvote 0

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome age indicators there :icon_thumleft: You have to go back and dig everything!

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
C

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Thanks BeachBumm! If I can get the V cleaned up better, I'll post a better picture. I was shocked. I was beginning to think we were hunting unicorns! I was trying to find information on the spoon, it's a Rogers silverplated flatware, labelled "J. ROGERS (Anchor) AA". I think it may predate all the other Rogers company variations but I don't know for sure. I can't find that exact inscription anywhere. Other than the picture, there were some marbles which didn't look antique, and some copper pennies. Even with the site levelling, I don't think there was anything over 4" deep.

OP
OP
C

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Also, I think that smashed dime is probably our first silver. Haaaa!

eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you guys! :headbang: So cool that you two are out there diggin up those old relics. I found a vintage compact like that too I posted on here , but only one half of it.. The powder was probably make-up. Good luck on your future hunts.
-Ryan

OP
OP
C

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
eagleforce said:
Wow you guys! :headbang: So cool that you two are out there diggin up those old relics. I found a vintage compact like that too I posted on here , but only one half of it.. The powder was probably make-up. Good luck on your future hunts.
-Ryan

Interesting, Ryan, the compact's hinge came off cleaning but said made in the USA so that dates it a little, originally the thing was closed, Dick drops it and there's all this cracked powder in there, the makeup, I'm like thanks, dude!!! Anyway, I can't remember when they've made little metal compacts, maybe brass? I dunno. Who knows how old it is. You'll have to post your weekend finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread