Old farm, only 1 nail, FOUND IT!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
My Aunt and Uncle gave me permission to hunt the farm. Lots of places to swing. I only had a few hours, my cousin showed up to chat, then my Aunt and Uncle showed up to chat, so I didn't get in as much as I wanted before the sun was melting me and my curfew was approaching. What's not shown are the 6 or so metal buttons, and two marbles I found, my Aunt scoffed them up when I showed them to her. ::) That's ok I really don't think but one was anything special, it had an anchor on the face of it? The buckle? broke in my pouch, it is hinged, not sure what it is? Big heavy metal glob of something or other, 1 old nail, rusty screw, v shaped rust, fuse. I was not getting discouraged though, a little frustrated with the Ace (sorry) dug a few holes with nothing there or way off target. The last hole I was so frustrated with it I hiked to the car to get the Discovery 1100, the signal was great with the Ace but I had a hole going like you read about. Swung the 1100 and popped one, two, three, and the rubber hose :D. They are some sort of snap, not sure on age and they were about 5" down.

Litte more on the Ace, I went to the park last weekend and it can pop out bottle caps and pull tabs even pennys with a small plug, relic hunting, I'm not sure why it's so far off target.

Well here's the pic's.

Attachments

• farm finds 001.JPG
    farm finds 001.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 589
  • stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 591
  • snaps.JPG
    snaps.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old farm, only 1 nail

CG, looks like a great area and of course the nail confirms that! I think your best finds of the day were the metal buttons and a shame no photos of them, especially the Anchor one. Buttons are an indicator for age of finds in the area and if the buttons are there in any number, there should also be coins of roughly the same or older period.

There are plenty of Ace users on the forum and hopefully someone will have an explanation on the pinpointing problem, I will also ask my son if he has experienced that.

Don

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thanks for the help Don. I will be back there soon. I may still be able to get pictures of the buttons. She did scoff them pretty quick though, she collects buttons :D. I'm glad that is one thing I don't collect. The place is so big and so much has gone on there, there has to be something good.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

looks like a great place, got to more there and i believe you will find if you keep going back , look for small depressions in the ground like where a clothes line post may have been or small buildings may have been over the years and goodluck ! ;)

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And here I was about to feel sorry for you :)
You didn't do so bad. On my farm, I dig scrap iron by the pound.
I hope the farm is close to you, it'll keep you diggin for years.
Of course, if you keep showing up, they might have some chores for you to do. :)

I agree that there has to be something good there, with all that history.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

I will be going back often. Wanted to today but family obligations :-\. You'd be proud of me today, I dug 10 old nails here at the house, so I got my fix! :D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

That looks like a good spot to hunt....some of those marbles can be worth big bucks so dont let auntie scarf them all from you. :)

papa

Sep 21, 2006

Looks like you had a good day.Lots of goodies.I'm having the same problem you are.With the pin pointing.Some times right on,other times,can't find it at all.You figure it out,let me know what to do.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

That spot looks great, just go when no one knows you are there, that way, no interruptions!
HH
Baggins

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thank goodness Papa I thought it was just me! I got the button back with the anchor on it, give me a bit and I'll shoot it and show you folks. I also found a buckle today there, that the dog dug up, when the hubby and I stopped for a minute. Gotta go for now.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CG,
Great looking hunting spot. If you found old buttons, there will be coins. I've found over 40 different buttons on that farm property I MD at. Old coins too of course.
As far as your Ace 250 being way off, I don't own an Ace 250, but have run into similar issues with my detector. I've dug holes, found nothing, only to find I was way off. Where this was happening to me was on large pieces of rusted farm iron. They seem to send a signal away from the actual piece. Maybe that is what is happening. You will dig a LOT of old rusted iron at these spots, but also some very cool finds too.
Good luck to you. Hopefully you get to spend more time MDing next time there. ;D
-MM-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds CG, the buttons sound interesting, too bad the wicked witch took them along with the marbles. I would not detect there anymore as Auntie will surely take anything you find, if you show her. She sounds really greedy, I can't believe she took the marbles. Find yourself a farm field close by and do some research around the area where you live. Don't let that new detector get you down, it takes awhile to learn them/detectors. I just ordered an Ace 250 to see what the hype is about. HH, Mike

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

I'm back and your not going to believe this I dropped the button and the buckle getting out of the car. I searched high and low retracing my steps, then thought maybe I had set them in my lap, sure enough the buckle was on the ground next to where the car was parked, no button :-[. All I can think is it's in the door pocket or on the floor next to the seat, I'll search some more when Hubby gets home with the car, dang!

I really want to stress that my Aunt was not being mean, she just likes treasures too. I get my drive from her and my Dad. She is actually a pack rat and saves everything. She felt bad when I saw her yesterday and offered me everything back (bet Uncle gave her heck). I only took the button with the anchor. Part of metal detecting is sharing, you folks taught me well. :)

Here's the buckle.

Attachments

• buckle, bella note 006.JPG
    buckle, bella note 006.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 366

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

very cool! Sure hope you find the button when the car gets home. I would like to see it! Next time tell Auntie you have to get pictures for us first! ;) lol

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Found the button stuck right in the seat belt trim, perfect. Reached for it and it fell ALL the way down. I have small hands but couldn't get to it >:(. I go to the garage get hubby's fancy magnet tool, it's too far down. Now we start to take the trim apart, have to take it all off, there she is. Still can't get it from the next trim piece >:(. A broken tab from the trim :-X , my finger wedged in there, and the magnet....got it!

Now it's probably not as old as I'm hoping? What's the verdict?

Thanks for your patience!

Attachments

• button 002.JPG
    button 002.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 293
  • button 004.JPG
    button 004.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 288

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The verdict is, you need to get a pouch to keep your finds in so you don't lose them. ;D
Neat button.
-MM-

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I have been searching Scovill for a while today and they actually started making buttons snaps ect in the early 1800's. I think the snaps are fairly old, I'm not sure. I cant find a matching logo, though it does look familiar?

Any idea on age of the button? :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread