Old farm, only 1 nail, FOUND IT!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
My Aunt and Uncle gave me permission to hunt the farm. Lots of places to swing. I only had a few hours, my cousin showed up to chat, then my Aunt and Uncle showed up to chat, so I didn't get in as much as I wanted before the sun was melting me and my curfew was approaching. What's not shown are the 6 or so metal buttons, and two marbles I found, my Aunt scoffed them up when I showed them to her. ::) That's ok I really don't think but one was anything special, it had an anchor on the face of it? The buckle? broke in my pouch, it is hinged, not sure what it is? Big heavy metal glob of something or other, 1 old nail, rusty screw, v shaped rust, fuse. I was not getting discouraged though, a little frustrated with the Ace (sorry) dug a few holes with nothing there or way off target. The last hole I was so frustrated with it I hiked to the car to get the Discovery 1100, the signal was great with the Ace but I had a hole going like you read about. Swung the 1100 and popped one, two, three, and the rubber hose :D. They are some sort of snap, not sure on age and they were about 5" down.

Litte more on the Ace, I went to the park last weekend and it can pop out bottle caps and pull tabs even pennys with a small plug, relic hunting, I'm not sure why it's so far off target.

Well here's the pic's.

Attachments

• farm finds 001.JPG
    farm finds 001.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 589
  • stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 591
  • snaps.JPG
    snaps.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
COUNTRY GIRL said:
I have been searching Scovill for a while today and they actually started making buttons snaps ect in the early 1800's. I think the snaps are fairly old, I'm not sure. I cant find a matching logo, though it does look familiar?

Any idea on age of the button? :-\

Thats true... Scovill was making buttons approx 1811 through the mid 1860s. But the back mark on your is modern.
The products I was looking at were DOT/Scovill... same company? I dunno... The "WM" looks familiar to me too... Truth is - it says "MW" not "WM" now that I look again.

The self-shank anchor button is a Navy motif - common on sport coats/blazers/etc... I's not a feature found on any pre-1900 military buttons (source: PBK). Nor is there a navy button that is just the modern looking anchore like that. I'd place the button post 1950s...

Disclaimer: See my Avatar... Free Bad Advise. Sorry if I turned this into the What Is It forum.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
No not at all..... I wanna know what it is. I could find things from 1700's all the way up. I love knowing what I found, the time frame any info available.

The MW helps, actually I probably won't be able sleep trying to figure it out :D.

I still like the button, it's older than I am (if it's not post 67 :D)

Send all the bad advice you have, I need it. :D

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Looks like you have a great placeto hunt if people would quit enterupting you. There has to be some really cool finds there. Don't give up and keep em coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread