Old Fisher CZ6 verses a Top Digital Machine

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always discovered that you can't say much of anything negative to the cult that feel the more they spend the better the detector. Seriously, how many people have you seen that have to have an E-Trac...fine..then a normal digger isn't good enough so they have to go buy a Lesche. Next comes the Sunray inline probe. I'm not saying everyone is like that but a bunch seem to be. If you get better performance out of something cheaper...lord help us. They always feel the need to justify to themselves why they spent so much.

Come on down to the state just south of you for a couple of hours of park hunting and put your machine where your mouth is. If a machine could TRULY match today's modern machines, people wouldn't be buying these modern machines. We aren't brand loyal. We aren't looking for the most expensive machines. We are loyal to the machine that produces the most finds on a consistent basis.

For example, I detected yesterday morning. I found 2 silver dimes, an indian head penny, an old token, and 21 wheat pennies. That was a slow day for me. How many others on the site can call that a slow day? I think I dug 8 total pieces of trash. I bet you that a CZ5/CZ6 isn't walking into parks and matching that, nor are your machines. This was a small group hunt where we invited others from our local club to come with us. There were 4 people not using Explorers. In total, they found one wheat penny and a silver ring that was a recent drop.

But, I'm just a negative nancy here. I can't bring REALITY into the argument when it comes to one machine being better than another.

And no, I don't think the E-Trac is the best out there. You can save $1000 and buy a used Explorer and have the same results.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on down to the state just south of you for a couple of hours of park hunting and put your machine where your mouth is. If a machine could TRULY match today's modern machines, people wouldn't be buying these modern machines. We aren't brand loyal. We aren't looking for the most expensive machines. We are loyal to the machine that produces the most finds on a consistent basis.

For example, I detected yesterday morning. I found 2 silver dimes, an indian head penny, an old token, and 21 wheat pennies. That was a slow day for me. How many others on the site can call that a slow day? I think I dug 8 total pieces of trash. I bet you that a CZ5/CZ6 isn't walking into parks and matching that, nor are your machines. This was a small group hunt where we invited others from our local club to come with us. There were 4 people not using Explorers. In total, they found one wheat penny and a silver ring that was a recent drop.

But, I'm just a negative nancy here. I can't bring REALITY into the argument when it comes to one machine being better than another.

And no, I don't think the E-Trac is the best out there. You can save $1000 and buy a used Explorer and have the same results.

Why the testimonial? It depends on area as well. If the place is littered with good coins then I imagine it would be easier to find them. If you really think that it all boils down to owning a Minelab then you are mistaken. I had a Minelab and it's recovery speed was terrible. Sure, it might do alright in fields and such but in the bottlecap/pulltab infested park and campground I detect they are totally useless. I commend you for your massive hauls of coins...thinking only a Minelab could do it is absurd.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the testimonial? It depends on area as well. If the place is littered with good coins then I imagine it would be easier to find them. If you really think that it all boils down to owning a Minelab then you are mistaken. I had a Minelab and it's recovery speed was terrible. Sure, it might do alright in fields and such but in the bottlecap/pulltab infested park and campground I detect they are totally useless. I commend you for your massive hauls of coins...thinking only a Minelab could do it is absurd.

Bottlecap / pulltab infested spots are my favorite spots for the Explorer. It's extremely simple to go through and cherry pick out the good coins from these spots. As for fields, the Explorer is the last machine I would use for a wide open field. It's just too heavy. And there are many machines that are equal / better for iron infested farm fields as well. Of course, your responses show that you really didn't give your machine the chance since you said it was bad at the spots it excels at and said it was good for the spots it's not as great at. Almost all I detect are trash ridden urban parks.

If you think you / your machine could find so many coins, come on down. We welcome all comers.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottlecap / pulltab infested spots are my favorite spots for the Explorer. It's extremely simple to go through and cherry pick out the good coins from these spots. As for fields, the Explorer is the last machine I would use for a wide open field. It's just too heavy. And there are many machines that are equal / better for iron infested farm fields as well. Of course, your responses show that you really didn't give your machine the chance since you said it was bad at the spots it excels at and said it was good for the spots it's not as great at. Almost all I detect are trash ridden urban parks.

If you think you / your machine could find so many coins, come on down. We welcome all comers.

So you're telling me that the recovery speed on a Minelab Quattro is good for trashy areas? You really do make yourself sound like an elitest *******.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to laugh at nerds that think the most expensive items are always the best. Wasn't directed at you..just in general. Sorry if you don't like my opinion.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to get into a debate here I but agree with Coinstriking Michigan...The most modern detectors are not always the best! You are paying for all the bells and whistles. When it comes down to it, skill and knowing your machine is your best asset.

By the way, Bazinga....the "Mighty Minelabs" may have all the bells and whistles...but I'd stick with my CZ5 with analog id any day..To each his own...

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazinga, you come off as a total douche bag. If I ever did decide to drive that far, beating you in coin totals would be the least of your worries. Pompous prick.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
ryaan, I wouldn't have used those same words myself. Not that I disapprove of them!

I've been an engineer in this industry for over thirty years, for several companies. Although my loyalty is to the company I work for now, my public face for that company has to be credible, and to that end I have to be relatively non-partisan. After all, I was hired because of the good work I'd done for other companies! Unlike certain competitors' shills, I have something to lose by staking my career on willy-nilly bashing other companies' products: I'd be bashing my own credibility!

Cut to chase. Do Minelabs "work". Yep, as long as there's no manufacturing defect or design major screwup, same standard as applies to all of us. Are there some people for whom the best product is the Minelab model [whatever, fill in the blank]? Yep, just as there are some customers for whom the BH Junior at something like $60 is the best product.

FTP-Fisher manufactures products targeted to a vast range of potential customer needs, a range wider than Minelab, but not necessarily to the same customers. I expect we'll be coexisting for a long time. If Minelab thinks they need to hire chest-beaters to hype the product, they're .... well..... I hope they continue thinking that way!

--Dave J.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're telling me that the recovery speed on a Minelab Quattro is good for trashy areas? You really do make yourself sound like an elitest *******.

Has there EVER been a good review of the Quattro? That machine went the way of the dodo bird years ago. It has nothing to do with being elitist. I would jump ship to a national geographic detector tomorrow if I could make more finds with it.

As for the more expensive machines, my machines all cost me under $500. I'm not shelling out $1500+ for a machine with no real improvements. Although, if they made an explorer that is as light as a Tesoro and sold it for $2,000, I would probably go buy one of those immediately. Saving my back is worth the extra money.

So many people make arguments that their machine can keep up with an Explorer with an experienced user, it's not even remotely close to being true. Go look at the Illinois board. How many guys last year with 200+ silver were not using an Explorer / Etrac / v3i / dfx?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazinga, you come off as a total douche bag. If I ever did decide to drive that far, beating you in coin totals would be the least of your worries. Pompous prick.

Please do come down. I'm not sure why you would resort to physical violence as you seem to be insinuating here, though. I don't ever resort to name calling on this site. I just bring actual FACTS to an argument. It's a shame so many people that detect take things personally and can't just see them for what they are. My arguments are not pro-minelab. They are pro-"the best machine for finding silver in a park." I've shown too many people shallow silver at 6" and had them not be able to hear it at all with their machines. Then I show them 8-10" silver and they are hopeless at hearing that as well. I actually feel bad when they are hunting next to me and I have 8 pieces of silver in my pocket and they have $1.28 in clad and a bunch of cans because their machine just doesn't cut the mustard.

Since I see you are in the UP, that's too far to meet halfway for a challenge. But if you are ever down this way, let's do some hunting. You and coinstriking can roadtrip together.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut to chase. Do Minelabs "work". Yep, as long as there's no manufacturing defect or design major screwup, same standard as applies to all of us. Are there some people for whom the best product is the Minelab model [whatever, fill in the blank]? Yep, just as there are some customers for whom the BH Junior at something like $60 is the best product.

The Explorer line is very poorly made. I cannot deny that. The camlocks are absolutely pathetic. I hate having to adjust my machine every 3 minutes while detecting to make sure it doesn't fall apart. Because of this issue, I had to buy an identical backup. I would LOVE for another company to make a lighter machine that performs on par with the Explorer. I would be sold in an instant.

My friends and I spent a LOT of time comparing signals back and forth with the F75 LTD and the V3 to the Explorer. It just wasn't even close. One of my friends had hunted his tiny yard about a half dozens times with his DFX and then again with his V3 and never found a piece of silver. After I found the 3rd piece of silver in just my 2nd row of my grid in the yard, he made me stop hunting his yard. He was visibly angry and upset.

Show me a Fisher machine that is on par with the Explorer and I will start using it tomorrow. I love how light they are. But, one of those just doesn't exist, at least not here in midwest soil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps he left his detector in the back seat of his car once too often on bright sunny days. :wink:

Who can say? A 6" to 7" deep dime certainly isn't outside normal range. Did he ground balance properly? Trust an "automatic" g.b. circuit? Clean inside the coil cover lately? There are a lot of variables.

Charlie is right and I can add to the fact that not all detectors of the same brand are created equal. A friend had a Tesoro Silver uMax that air tested on a dime at 16 inches in our tests till she dropped the detector, the it wasn't the same. Then it was normal. So there are a lot of reasons why the T2 couldn't do it and the CZ6 did. It could also have been a defective coil on the T2.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
And if the CZ'd had a DD, it would have missed the dime.

Just kidding! 'Spoze Gleaner's just jerking my chain to see if I'll bark.

Nobody knows why the T2 missed that specific dime (which to correct Gleaner, was not "shallow", it was midrange). In any case, the T2 design was optimized for DD's, there are no T2-compatible concentrics, and I don't expect there ever will be.

--Dave J.

Sorry just being a bit facetious. There really is no way the T2 should have missed the shallow 6" dime, silver, clad, concentric or dd notwithstanding.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I have read of spots were the soil is so bad , you can toss a coin on the ground and not hit it.
I have read were the big M/L loose to a Tesoro Silver Max . Yes it does happen .
The CZ can be as deep as anything out there , not everywere.
All depends were you live .

Or how about silent EMI from the other machine. I have seen this first hand , your not to close to the other
machine to make it chatter but close enough to down the circiut and kill perfomance.

So many reasons and we may never know.

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oh no you didint!!!!!!:laughing7: :occasion14: very hard not to reply to $$@#@&# !!!!!! thank you!

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could this guy be a .......

Attachments

• Obama Zombie Kids.jpeg
    Obama Zombie Kids.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 228

rws51

May 12, 2009
I had to add my 2 cents on this subject. One of my detectors is a CZ5 and I can tell you it will pick a dime out of a trashy park at 8 inches with the 5 inch coil easily. No BS here, I have done it many times. I might not have 200 plus silvers a year
with the CZ5, but that is because I hunt alot in farm fields and coins are fewer to be found than a well used park. I love the analog meter on the CZ5, and coil for coil it is as deep as anything out there today. I will also say I wouldn't trade my
CZ5 for any Minelab made. With the CZ operating at 5 and 15 khz you have the best of both worlds....5 khz for copper and silver and 15 khz for gold and brass. It's obvious you have never hunted with a cz.... try one, you might dump that
Explorer real fast.

Roger

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an observation, I wasn't that impressed with the T2 when I used it. I guess if your like listening to that garbage the entire time you're out it's a good detector.

youcancallmesir

Greenie
May 25, 2012
the Berkshires
Detector(s) used
1992 Fisher/ 4 brl. carb and positraction
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Explorer line is very poorly made. I cannot deny that. The camlocks are absolutely pathetic. I hate having to adjust my machine every 3 minutes while detecting to make sure it doesn't fall apart. Because of this issue, I had to buy an identical backup. I would LOVE for another company to make a lighter machine that performs on par with the Explorer. I would be sold in an instant.

My friends and I spent a LOT of time comparing signals back and forth with the F75 LTD and the V3 to the Explorer. It just wasn't even close. One of my friends had hunted his tiny yard about a half dozens times with his DFX and then again with his V3 and never found a piece of silver. After I found the 3rd piece of silver in just my 2nd row of my grid in the yard, he made me stop hunting his yard. He was visibly angry and upset.

Show me a Fisher machine that is on par with the Explorer and I will start using it tomorrow. I love how light they are. But, one of those just doesn't exist, at least not here in midwest soil.

If there is a decent amount of silver in your friends yard, and it sounds like there is, I would be angry too. He has got a lot of money invested in machines to not find silver in his yard! It shouldn't take any of thoses machines listed to make those finds. It seems the user is a major varible in this equation.

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only been in the hobby for a bit less than 3 years. I learned early on that you listen to your elders and all those in a hobby, that have been doing it longer than you have. There also seems to be a lost quality to some of the older machines.

I picked up a CZ-5 a few months ago with all 3 coils. I'm glad I did! It's stable and deeper than the units that I used before. Heck, I relic hunt with the thing!

I take the time to listen to all feedback and learn my unit. I vouch for my CZ!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions