Old fishing reel....

HEADHUNTER

Aug 30, 2005
North Central,PA
Found this old fishing reel,Miller pad lock,And 2 spoons yesterday between rain showers..
Also found some clad...No old coins....Im hunting two old stone foundations which have been
there since late 1800's...Which have been fill in.The only old coin i have found there is the 1891 indian.
.If I detect in all metal mode...my detector goes nut...Lots of junk in the ground...do you think these people just didnt lose money ...or is really deep...I keep going back thinking one day i'll
find old coins..Until then...I'll just take the neat little items I find..

Thanks for reading and looking

Headhunter

Attachments

• Yesterdays finds.JPG
    Yesterdays finds.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
HH,

nice group of artifacts.

The reel is real nice, a keeper. (like that sentance for some reason.)

I sure would go back; hope you pull up a coin.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that there are more coins there but if there is as much junk in the ground as you say there is probably a lot of masking going on, so the detector won't see anything that is under the iron. If you want to make sure that you don't miss anything, you have to get rid of the ferrous targets so your detector can see deeper targets. I have been hunting an old homesite in the woods that is just like what you are describing, so far I have found a 1944 silver war nickel in great cond, 4 wheats, and 2 early memorial cents. I plan to take a rake with me and try to rake off all of the iron on the surface (there are a lot of bedsprings, and other iron junk laying around), then start the grueling job of removing each and every target to make sure that I get all coins that are there that my detector will find. You could also get a smaller coil to try and get inbetween the trash. Good Luck!!

HH

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Awesome finds :o Any marks on the spoons? That lock is probably worth alot and its definetly old. do you have a closeup of the locks mark?

OP
OP
HEADHUNTER

HEADHUNTER

Aug 30, 2005
North Central,PA
The markings on the lock are (Miller Climax)..
I will go back time and time to this area..hopefully
before the snow flies..I will try and get a pic of the
area...The landowner keeps it mowed...so it
easy to detect...Thanks for the replies..

headhunter

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice,,,WTG!!!
Love the old reel... that lock is cool too...
I found an old Iron/Steal? fishing rod awhile back. I didn't even know they ever made a steal fishing rod...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I know to work a site like that is to kinda' do it in layers. Skim the surface two to four inches in a small area and then work your way down. Don't discount the iron because there are often worthy artifacts in the iron range. Depending on what the soil is like you may have to go down 8" or more to find the old coins. Monty

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nice digs! I personally like the spoons. I would make a cool wind chime with all the utensils you find. Makes a beautiful sound when the wind blows! Keep up the good work.

Happy Hunting!

Moon

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics!

hh

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Notre to leon I have a 1947 built true temper steel fishing rod with a shakespeare president reel....in good working condition !!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread