Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They must of been kept in side, or they would be rotted by now,No! you mite have some then there...

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If rifles were inside, they would have had cross pieces with notches to hold the rifles secure but separated from each other. The notches would probably be higher on one end than the other, or even alternating (depending on which rifle wa in it) so that each rifle was packed the opposite direction of the next. Best I can do without a pic.

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Re: Old gun crate question New Mexico area

I may be gone for a few days so here is the story.

I was talking TH with a co worker and he told me this. When he was about 7-8 which was in 1981 he and his family went to Bloomfield or Springfield N.M. to see family. Said he and a friend or cousin went exploring. He said they went through a lot of ravines and washes, when they found a WAGON. The old covered wagon type. Said it had 4 metal loops for holding up the canvas. Yes he said the wagon was very rotted. The kicker and why I posed the question is he said there were 10 caskets laying about( as he called them back then) some with lids and some not.Yes these were rotten too. They opened all with lids and nothing in them but gun racks. The kind us country boys have in the back window. He thought they were made from heavy wire,metal anyway. Said 3 to a side for 6 per crate. Totaling 60 rifles. HMMM. He also said there were a bunch of little blue bottles laying about some with corks in them but none had anything in them. Opium?? I don't know if indians used it or not. I asked if any roads were close and he said even as a kid he wondered how the heck the wagon got there, no roads or trails anywhere. So thats what was told to me. I can get more info if needed I'm sure. NVRADAR

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Sounds like it will be a great place to hunt!

To add to your comment, I've seen stuff in the desert that could not possibly have been placed there by any means except helicopter/air vehicle.

It's always fun to look... scratch your head... and wonder, "How in the hell did this get out here?"

S

stefen

Interesting story that took place some 30 years ago.

Even though much of New Mexico is desert environment, it still has rainfall and snow.

Since there were rotted wooden boxes strewn about, and possibly dating from the late 1800's, the boxes would be about 100 years old when found. Add to that another 30 years, and there may still be some boxes remaining.

If the boxes were empty, its doubtful that there is anything of value remaining.

Then again, it could be fun day trip for some exploring.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of somehing similar to what you described.
I was rabbit hunting in the hills near Riverside many years ago. Nothing around for miles except sand and sagebrush. I noticed something sticking out of the sand so I proceeded to dig it up. Turns out it was an old iron, one of those type that you had to heat on your stove and then iron your clothes with it. I figured it was thrown out of the back of a wagon to lighten the load because they were being chased by Indians. ;D

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,636
OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I could imagine a band of indians hijacking the wagon and booney crashing it to a safe place and splitting the loot. I wonder if any caves are in the area.... maybe a few rifles stashed in it!? As far as when the boxes were made ,heck they could have been made a week earlier??? I assume they were rotting at a close pace to the wagon. Nice pic of the gun crate, but he said the gun holders were on the sides 3 deep and made of metal. To me it seems to be a waste of space.Maybe powder and bullets in the bottom? He said it was a long way out into nowhere but when you are a kid you can't go real far and make it back by dark I believe.
nvradar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread