Old Hand Dug Holes Found And What Took Me There

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello Thom, as a matter of fact somewhere around the middle 70's I seen an old Spanish map with a Spanish settlement, it was on the north side of a small valley showed the number of dwellings, it was between Taos and Eagle Nest NM on the right hand side of a old road probably about 1/2 way between the two towns. AS a mater of fact there was a mound of dirt just on the North side of Eagles Nest less than a mile and there was rumors that it was local gossip that it was an old gold mine, probably about what a dump truck would haul, as a matter of fact I think it was in the middle 60's do you know how old that makes me feel, I'm gonna go lay down, Just to show you what a good ole boy I am, water drains stopped up, get some degrease, I use purple power muself straight out of the jug, about a cup or two will open your drains in a flash, soap is oil base and a degrease works wonders washer drains sink drains

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Iā€™ll add some support material for this thread. Ernie has mentioned several things related to the attached pics. The one of the tanks/baths, whatever, doesnā€™t show it, but there are drill holes around these, some as small as the 3mm he mentioned earlier. Depths vary, widths vary, and the exact meaning is not clear. At another site, a drill hole 4ā€ across and having a contoured bottom that gives two depth readings seems to indicate that two distances can be measured from the same hole. This little beauty actually has a stopper on top and is part of larger overall sign!

My short time with drill holes tells me that they quite likely have different meanings depending upon size and context. Context is hard to figure out for me right now, but Iā€™m referring to the drill holes being used in association with other signs. Then you have triangles a go-go, trail markers and ā€˜Vā€™ markings in rocks. Head spinning stuff at first! All this combines to make quite a puzzle.

Donā€™t mind the trained monkey in the 1st pic, a size reference only ;-) Also, thereā€™s another rectangular hole to my left there, my hiking stick just isnā€™t tall enough to get the right angle from the camera.

Mewithbath.jpg

Bootandstopper.jpg

drillhole.jpg

Obviously there is a whole lot more going on in these pics than JUST the drill holes. However, these holes are a vital part of the overall picture, no reason to go to all that work otherwise! I will say that one problem with some holes is that you really need to examine them to determine if theyā€™re natural or not. The easy thing for me so far is that theyā€™re obviously NOT natural, and occur along with other things, therefore underscoring the man-made nature.

Iā€™m no expert on these by any stretch, but hope to gain more knowledge both from field work and whoever else can help shed light!

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hi Randy, was just looking back at those drill holes and the one that I have seen where there was a shoulder and two different measurements indicated one and a half or 69 paces ( cordel ) + 1/2 cordel = 103. 5 paces or 285 feet.or the meaurements may be by the foot ( indicated by the boot ) rather than by the pace and if its deep enough ( 8 inches ) it could be double th distance Did you take your trip. Ernie

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dsty--I'm going to post a couple of pictures to get your opinion on....These signs are on some of my brother's land.
Two of the pics. are of drill holes(?) and one is an odd shaped rock near the drill holes.
Thanks for all the help and info you've given me!
SC4

Attachments

• IMG_8307 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8307 (650x433).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,597
  • IMG_8272 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8272 (650x433).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,585
  • IMG_8304 (650x426).jpg
    IMG_8304 (650x426).jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,564

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey Ernie, the trip fell through at the last minute! Right now I'm just waiting for Christmas to get past and deer season to end. A whole new batch of vacation days and rebuild the play money, then it'll be game on again! Those measurements-I've tried a couple different distances and one yeilded an interesting result that we at first ruled out. However, I've since come to think that we may have been premature in our assesment and I plan to 'rework' everything, including a little digging at that spot to see if any signs may be under the surface.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandcreek:
That last photo is a rock map of Texas. Are there any significant marks on it?

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello SC4, that rock #8304 sure looks made to me but when I turned it upside down it looks like a pigs heads with its leg cut off, The part that would be of interest to me would be the V that's cut out of its back which is or could be a direction indicator I think I would have to see whats on the bottom and # 8307 post I can see a body of a turtle with small holes out for the legs and head headed to the right. The small buff with the rocks that's stacked on top is intersting also. Hello SS don't get much time to visit anymore Be Safe

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Sandcreek:
That last photo is a rock map of Texas. Are there any significant marks on it?
Hi Shortstack---I couldn't find any significant marks on this rock, but I didn't turn it over for fear of messing up the direction. We'll go back soon and flip it and look it over really good to see if there's anything else.
dsty said:
Hello SC4, that rock #8304 sure looks made to me but when I turned it upside down it looks like a pigs heads with its leg cut off, The part that would be of interest to me would be the V that's cut out of its back which is or could be a direction indicator I think I would have to see whats on the bottom and # 8307 post I can see a body of a turtle with small holes out for the legs and head headed to the right. The small buff with the rocks that's stacked on top is intersting also.
Thanks for pointing out the 'V', dsty! I'll have to give this rock some more of my time!
Appreciate all the help, guys!!!
SC4

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandcreek:
I have a suggestion for checking the bottom of the "Texas" rock. It has 3 inside corners, so hammer a straight steel rod into the ground, snugged in each corner BEFORE moving the rock. Leave 2 or 3 inches of each rod sticking above the ground as "keys". That way, you should be able to replace the stone in it's exact place after moving it.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Sandcreek:
I have a suggestion for checking the bottom of the "Texas" rock. It has 3 inside corners, so hammer a straight steel rod into the ground, snugged in each corner BEFORE moving the rock. Leave 2 or 3 inches of each rod sticking above the ground as "keys". That way, you should be able to replace the stone in it's exact place after moving it.
Will do, Shortstack! Good suggestion :icon_thumright: .

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more pictures Ernie--See what you think. This is some of the stuff I was telling you about in that PM.

Attachments

• 059 (650x488).jpg
    059 (650x488).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 097 (650x488).jpg
    097 (650x488).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_8397 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8397 (650x433).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,400
  • IMG_8392 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8392 (650x433).jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,437
  • \'J\' Rock Copy1.jpg
    \'J\' Rock Copy1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_8402 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8402 (650x433).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 095 (650x488).jpg
    095 (650x488).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,373

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron pointer says , KGC, doesn't it??

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Iron pointer says , KGC, doesn't it??
;D That's kinda what we're thinking, Shortstack. We found approx. 4 false trails with this site, all leading south. We looked all over the creek bottom.....eyeballed every big tree.....went back to the 'J' rock time and time again. We kinda figure now we should've been looking to the north--maybe follow that hook on the 'J' instead of the jag :dontknow: ? On the long drive home, we cussed and discussed everything we did wrong :help: :D . I tell ya, it was fun, though! When I hollered at my sister and told her I had just found an iron pointer she just about lost it right there. :laughing9: (BTW--That iron pointer is pointing south.)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandcreek,
Did you take a compass reading off of the side angles of the pointed end? Or the 90 degree of the squared butt end? I hope you didn't remove the pointer from it's position.
Just musing. Have you read the book, "Rebel Gold", by Bishop? Excellent KGC info. Also, Texas Jay and Rebel-KGC are a couple of members of this forum who have a pretty strong background in researching that group and following their trails.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Sandcreek,
Did you take a compass reading off of the side angles of the pointed end? Or the 90 degree of the squared butt end? I hope you didn't remove the pointer from it's position.
Just musing. Have you read the book, "Rebel Gold", by Bishop? Excellent KGC info. Also, Texas Jay and Rebel-KGC are a couple of members of this forum who have a pretty strong background in researching that group and following their trails.
(dsty--If you get tired of me putting pictures on your post just let me know!)
Shortstack----No, we didn't remove the pointer. Here's a picture of the pointer with the compass.
And yes, I have read Rebel Gold, that's how we learned about those iron pointers. I don't know if the KGC incorporated drill holes into their trails though? I've got to go back and re-read Rebel Gold again to see if I missed anything! I would post some of this stuff over on the KGC part of the forum, but there seems to be so many naysayers over there! And I don't want to argue over what I'm finding, you know what I mean? Its just fun for us to have even found something like this.
Thanks Shortstack!!

Attachments

• IMG_8407 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8407 (650x433).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_8408 (433x650).jpg
    IMG_8408 (433x650).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,309
OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello SC4 You can post anything you want on this, I don't know much about KGC stuff tho, a friend of mine in Utah Floyd Mann may be able to help, I'll get in touch with him for you if you want, Interesting that those are placed as they are. A "V" is a very important it can indicate a mouth, a roman numeral, ( fifth letter of the alphabet which is "E" which can = reverse ) 22nd letter X10 = 220 or all of the above. A very Merry Christmas and a safe Holiday Season to all of you wonderful folks.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, Sandcreek:
Those last 2 photos show the base a lot clearer and the base is NOT a 90 degree end. It is obviously an angle cut and I hope you plotted the different angles on this piece. From the little reading and study that I've done, it seems that the KGC used the number "33" and it's different multiples and derivatives in their codes and trail markers. If you can, get a good map of the area and plot the location of this pointer and other finds you've made and plot the angles and distances onto the map. Very often, you can find good maps of your counties on that county's website or the state's website. Good luck.
If you don't feel comfortable posting on the KGC section, you might PM TJay and Rebel with some questions. Although, the delete button would also help your state of mind on the KGC section. There are some folks who have made it their life's work to follow Texas Jay to different forums to argue with him about the way he put one family member (Anderson) as the true "Bloody Bill" Anderson and the way BB was connected to the KGC. It's actually pretty stu-pid with the way they act.
If you will read the threads on the KGC section, especially TJay's and Rebel-KGC's you'll find several good website links for good research.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Whoa, Sandcreek:
Those last 2 photos show the base a lot clearer and the base is NOT a 90 degree end. It is obviously an angle cut and I hope you plotted the different angles on this piece. From the little reading and study that I've done, it seems that the KGC used the number "33" and it's different multiples and derivatives in their codes and trail markers. If you can, get a good map of the area and plot the location of this pointer and other finds you've made and plot the angles and distances onto the map. Very often, you can find good maps of your counties on that county's website or the state's website. Good luck.
If you don't feel comfortable posting on the KGC section, you might PM TJay and Rebel with some questions. Although, the delete button would also help your state of mind on the KGC section. There are some folks who have made it their life's work to follow Texas Jay to different forums to argue with him about the way he put one family member (Anderson) as the true "Bloody Bill" Anderson and the way BB was connected to the KGC. It's actually pretty stu-pid with the way they act.
If you will read the threads on the KGC section, especially TJay's and Rebel-KGC's you'll find several good website links for good research.
Yes, we are plotting this on a map. We found that most of the distances between the iron pointers and other trail markers was 66 feet. Isn't that another distance the KGC used? Do you know if all KGC sites have an Owl incorporated somewhere?
I'm going to send you a PM, Shortstack, and thanks for all the help!

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
sandcreek4

I just got back from a field trip and was catching up on the posts and yours caught my eye. (the plow point is what did it) I was reading backwards and thought I had some answers for you... :laughing9: but some of it was being deleted about as fast as I could read it. Guess you got all the help you needed. Good Luck

Oddrock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread