Old home site-no silver but interesting stuff

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
My hunting buddie Dean and I decided to hunt an old yard near his business. The original 1890s house was torn down last year but they are keeping the it mowed (to some degree). It was rough going, lots of JUNK but we found a few things that were interesting. My favorite was a woman's compact and a match safe. The rouge container in the upper right is marked Armour and Company Chicago USA - 1005 Rouge. The match safe is in pretty poor condition but a first none the less for me. As usual no old money (sigh) but it was still an interesting day. The mirror of the campact has lost about half of its silver backing unless it isn't a compact but a picture frame, them the picture has dissolved to some degree. I believe it isn't a picture frame since there is no way to attach it to a neck chain and it would be heavy for that anyway. The striker surface on the match safe is in pretty good condition but the body has suffered from the years in the ground.

It the place wasn't so full of trash I'd go back with the Super 12 coil and see what else might be there but I am considering trying a sniper coil and try to pull a few coins to the surface. The few coins we found were all new stuff along the sidewalk. The finds shown are what I found. Dean founds some similar rouge containers and a few coins. Oh, if your MXT says screwtop dig it, that is what the compact registered as.

Happy hunting,
Ken

Attachments

• AtkinsMatchSafe2.jpg
    AtkinsMatchSafe2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 581
  • AtkinsMatchSafe.jpg
    AtkinsMatchSafe.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 574
  • Atkins compact.jpg
    Atkins compact.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 569
  • Atkins.jpg
    Atkins.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 545
Upvote 0

tracey

Jan 9, 2005
TN
Neat stuff! I like to think about who used to own these things. Like the pretty lady that carried the compact. Interesting.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Interesting stuff. I went to an old site today and just dug up a bunch of trash. If I go back about 2 or 300 more times I might have a chance of finding something worthwhile. But I intend to do just that! Good luck on that spot.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing....those old farm sites can reap alot of cool relics. Hope you have time to go after more!

R

RUDY2003

Real nice relics bud!
Looks like a real good huntin' spot...

Keep safe...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whatzit is part of a horse's Tack - forgot the name for it - Gag ???? (Loop or something)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions