old homes listed in your area!!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I was on U.S. Airways yesterday and there was this article in the in flight magazine about old Octagon houses around the country. It listed this website with a listing by state of these old homes. Click and scroll to state list. Some give specific locations, others you will have to research more to find location. Many from 1800s. Good luck! Please report back any good finds.
http://www.octagon.bobanna.com/main_page.html

Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Thanks Bergie. Just happened to be one listed in my neighborhood. Built in 1888. Thanks for the lead!~CO2

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Hi Bergie,

Neat link! The Seattle map link for Washington actually shows an image of the one in Seattle.
Sadly, it's LONG gone - at a major intersection of what is now a sea of skyscrapers! Oh, how
fun it would be to hunt beneath the asfault!

Dave
Zommbee

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
You shoud tell them about it. They are still trying to compile the list.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The one listed as here in Elgin was destroyed a century ago.? The large old home there now is a multi-family dwelling.? I've hunted the yard there too.? It's across from the first public square in Elgin, Gifford Park. The original three stroy octagon was destroyed by fire in 1897. The current multi family rental was built by the famed publisher D.C. Cook and designed by W. W. Abell as a ten room boarding house. The turntable in the garage is still there, put in by the son of D.C Cook who resided there and didn't want to have to back out of the garage. While D. C. still rode a bike to work every day, his son was one of those early roadster mavens that enjoyed cruisng to work. Little history remains of the original octagon that stood at this site outside of a few drawings.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site you posted there! I found a bunch in MI here, 1 only 10 mi from my house! Tempted to go ask if I can detect the yard! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread