old homesite question

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
I have been eyeing an old homesite that is just down the street from my house. My question is: The property is for sale by some commerical developmet company ( Norton, I think). So does that mean they are the owners of the property? If I were to contact them, I doubt if I would get a clear answer about detecting that site. Has anyone ever ran across this type of thing before? Or should I just take my chances and go check it out? I haven't seen any other "keep out signs or no trespassing" posted anywhere from the road.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with your county tax appraiser's office. In my county, they have an interactive aerial map where you can click on the property in question and all kinds of info comes up including the owner and their address.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If a vacant home is for sale by owner, then you'd be "pushing it" (even though vacant) to hunt it. But if it is owned by a nameless faceless mortgage Co. (d/t foreclosure) whose headquartered in some remote city or state, and obviously becoming weed-choked and blighted, I usually just help myself. Same for vacant abandoned homes that are taken over by the county d/t non-payment of property taxes. It would be owned by the county, technically, at that point. At some future point, it'll be held for sale "to the highest bidder". But while it sits there, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt it. But then again, your asking this on a forum where some people think you need permission for even public park sandboxes, so go figure, opinions will vary.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I can see the temptation, but it goes against every MD'ing Code of Ethics to not get permission. Get permission and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions