Old lock and associated arrowhead?

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
After paddling down river I noticed fire rock eroding out of the bank. Immediately we docked. There were 2 fire pits 4 feet apart. The lock and arrowhead were 1 foot apart and located in the eroding pit on top and on the edge. In the background other fcr and flint chips could be found. Is there anyway these could be from the same time period? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Tippecanoe point and lock.jpg
    Tippecanoe point and lock.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
This "US" warded brass padlock was made around 100-110 years ago. Most aren't marked, but Franklin M. Arnall's book, The Padlock Collector, identifies the maker as the E. T. Fraim Lock Co. of Lancaster, PA. Although it's sometimes listed as a lock from a U.S. mail bag, and on eBay some sellers have also called it a military lock, in fact it was a retail item sold in hardware stores and mail order catalogs— not an official government lock. "US" was just the model name. When RFD mail delivery began, many people bought these "US" locks to use on rural mailboxes. There were also locks with "MAIL," "RFD," "RR" (for Rural Route), and other official-looking names that were sold for the same purpose.

arm66

Oct 25, 2007
NE Ohio....Mahoning County
I have two locks like that and an older looking unmarked lock. I found them on my father in laws farm while rebuilding his spring house. It was said that a stage line used to stop at the spring for water in the mid to late 1800's. I doubted it until I found two brass stage tags about a foot down whille digging a trench for the pipe to the pond from the spring. They are pretty cool finds. good job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread