Old Military Dogtags

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Found an old dogtag the other day. I was wondering if anyone knows a good internet site that will let me find out about this person so that I might be able to return it to him or his family. I found one, but they want 25 bucks to do the search.

The tag is one of the WWII types with the tooth notch. I don't know when they started, or quit using this type, but I do know that they were used in WWII. The info is as follows:

KUBIAK
ROBERT J
US5554790
T56 A
CATHOLIC

Upvote 0
Digem,

Definitely not WWII due to that date as well as the use of the full word "catholic".? WWII used single letter abbreviations. You're also looking at a later tetanus date. Here's what I've got:

That T56 indicates a tetanus date of 1956, so you're looking at a very early Vietnam era/post Korean war dogtag.? The "US" indicates a draftee, with the first 5 indicating a first round draftee. The 2nd 5 indicates that Kubiak was from the Mid-West region, the rest of the number is his serial number. Already covered the T56, then the A indicates blood type, with the Catholic being obvious.?

All this said, my info is concerning Army tags so this could possibly be another branch, and if I can find anything out I'll let you know.? I am by no means an expert, just a veteran with some interest.? Hopefully someone else with a few other sources can shed some further light on things.

Some sources:

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/dog_tags.htm

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/dogtags_serial.htm

Could you possibly post a pic?

Kevin

Kevin, I would love to post a pic! If only I had a digital camera!! I have been telling myself to buy one for three years now. Still haven't done it! I will go buy a cheap one just for the forum. I hate to pay three or four hundred bucks for one and it be "old" in six months! I'll try to get one by Monday. That way I can keep everyone off my back! haha

I know the feeling. Technology is so fickle!

I use a Kodak EasyShare, it was less than a hundred bucks at Wallyworld and works just fine. You're welcome for the sites, I found them while researching another set of tags that someone on here found. Between myself, him (Lance), and a few others we managed to trace the family and he was able to locate family in his area to return the tag. Yours has proven to be a little tougher, but I haven't given up yet!

Good luck and thanks for posting another great find!

Kevin

When it comes to research, I am usually pretty good. However, this one is out of my realm. I was at a loss for resources. That was probably the last thing that I expected to find out there. Anyway, I appreciate all the help Kevin. If I can ever be of assistance to you let me know.

Will

8)

Hey Kevin, Is your camera the 3.1 MP CD33? If so, does it come with everything that you need, or do you have to buy other things? Also, can you post a pic from it on here for me? Something that would be seen on here normally. Like a close-up pic of a coin.

Thanks

I was in the service in the 1960s and they still had the tooth notch. For those of you who don't know the tooth notch was a cut in one corner of the tag. When you were KIA they would put the notch between your two top front teeth and rest the bottom on your lower front teeth. Give the lower jaw a good rap and the tag was almost permanently attached to your body. Kinda' morbid but in combat it is expediant for later identifying your remains. Otherwise your family may never know what became of you. I suppose DNA sampling has done away with that requirement? JIM

Yes, that is correct. Everyone that entered the service in the early 90's as I did had a 4"X6" foil packet in their medical records (at least in the Marine Corps) that was filled with dried blood that was to be used for DNA. I am sure that they are still doing that. Hey Jim, did you get to keep your dogtags? They make really good conversation pieces. I have one of mine on each set of keys that I have. I have to be careful where and with whom I leave my keys though... it has everything that someone need to steal my identy! Wonder how long it will be before the service goes back to issuing serial numbers? That is the same reason that the states that used to use the social security number on drivers licenses now are starting to go back to issuing numbers.

Ask and ye shall receive! You really can't read anything on it in the pic. It is all gunked up. But I posed all the info earlier.

Attachments

• 000_0002.JPG
    000_0002.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 397
Yes, I kept my dog tags. I only had one left. They weren't very strict about wearing them in the Air Force and when I was overseas in Libya you were forbidden from wearing them for some reason. I kept one on my key chain with my car keys for years and to this day I don't know what ever halppened to it. Maybe some day someone will find it in the beach sand in Florida where I was stationed last? JIM

To try locate the owner of the dogtag you could go to a site such as www.zaba.com and do a name search for the person. Possibly you'll get a hit for someone in your town or the town where you found it. It's worth a try.

Tried ZABA and a few others, however nobody by that name in my area. The only hit I got didn't give any contact info. I did find a pay site that wanted... I think it was about $25.00. I would love to get it back to Mr. Kubiak, however that is a little more than I am willing to pay.

SSDI shows one person of that name with any attachment to Arizona (which is where I presume you found it). You can go here and get the full record... http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

Name: Robert Kubiak
Born: 18 Jan 1912
Died: Jan 1975
State (Year) SSN issued: Arizona (Before 1951 )

Try an on line U.S. phonebook. You might have to make a few phone calls but I am guessing the guy you are looking for was born in the mid to late 1930's. Good luck. I found a set of ww2 dogtags and tracked the guy down through an on line phone book. He was deceased but sent the dog tags to his daughter.

Now that link got me some info Gadget!!! I told someone earlier that research is one of my talents, but this is my first "person" research. I haven't got a clue! :D I'll try the phone book tomorrow when I have more time. You would think that there would be a web site that would let you look up the army serial number, but I can't find one anywhere. Anyone got any clues?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back