Digging 30 Qs, 65 Ps, 20 Ns 4 rings and a sink, In 2 hours!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging 30 Q's, 65 P's, 20 N's 4 rings and a sink, In 2 hours!

Ok, this is a post for us Newbees that don't know much about MDing. WE NEED HELP!!! from all you Pro's

How do you dig so much in such little time. I am lucky if I dig 4 Quarters, and some pennies and PT's in that time.
Please tell us some tricks we can learn.

I think it is a matter of knowing your sounds and learning to pinpoint good.

DON'T BE GREEDY AND PLEASE HELP US!!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Upvote 0

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Re: Digging 30 Q's, 65 P's, 20 N's 4 rings and a sink, In 2 hours!

Mud , made trip this morn to football field , dug 31 quarters 10 dimes 3 nickles and bunch of pennies , several other things. 2.5 hrs . coins were in small area . dig one, move over 6 in and dig another. I thought i was there longer , till i checked time after quitting . Did seem like i spent more time digging than hunting . It can be done . GET ER DUG

R

rvbvetter

I don't know about secret. I just think you have to come across a hot spot like Greenswinger did, and be able to pinpoint and recover well. Then what ever speed you normaly run at, will determine how long it takes. I've run into places like that. And because of so many targets and so close together. That once i get down to dig, i won't get to my feet for a while. I just scoot over a little and dig the next one. HH

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JUST THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH SO HELP ME ZOD....

THE REALITY IS THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO METAL DETECT, PRO'S AND BEGINNERS,
NEVER GET THOSE KINDS OF NUMBERS. IN 20 YEARS OF HUNTING MANY MANY SITES
I'VE ONLY FOUND MAYBE 5-6 THAT WILL PRODUCE THOSE KINDS OF NUMBERS.

MOST PLACES YOUR LUCKY TO GET 1-2 QUARTERS MUCH LESS 20-30
ITS MY PERSONAL OPINION THAT THOSE WHO FREQUENT A PLACE LIKE THIS AND
JAM ABOUT THOSE NUMBER ON A REGULAR BASIS, PRABABLY ARE JAMING FOR ATTENTION...
BECAUSE AFTER 20 YEARS OF HUNTING I KNOW THAT $5 IN CHANGE IN A DAY IS A LOT.
BUT I'M IN NO HURRY TO POST IT HERE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
RICHARD

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Mud,

I have said it before, I am not into coin shooting more artifacts, bottles, just following up on history. The old detectors I used got me a few coins, and I do a lot of digging on other targets, I wanted to know what they were.

Had some spare change and decided, after many years, to upgrade and went with a Garrett 1500.

Have only had the machine for 2 weeks and I am impressed. I thought I knew my other machines but......Have swung a coil for some time and this is a new experience for me, I am a newbe again with the new Garrett.

On my second test run for coins, I lucked into a good area, dug 30 some clad and did not dig a trash target on that run. The machine told me it was a coin size target, it went on to I.d. it as a penny, dime , quarter,(still working on solving the nickle search), and it also gave a different beep on a coin. Plus the target pinpoint was exactly on the spot.

Never dug so many in such a short time ( and could never understand how others were doing it). I am still getting to know the machine but I did not become an expert (hope I never will) over the three times I used the machine. Its the machine.

The machine found those coins and made it easy for me to dig, I just followed instructions and swung the dang thing..

I am looking forward to learning more.

Have heard over and over the "get to know your machine and you'll find more." That is so true. But with this machine it makes it so easy to know your machine. Major thing I noticed is having the graphics giving you tips not just tones to go on, makes it fun to use.

Just my 2 cents worth(clad).

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

P.S.
Going out to a 1920's picnic park today that in the past I have dug enough tabs, old cans, nails, bottle caps, to fill a dump truck. Have confidence that I will be spending less time digging the trash and hope I will pull a few coins.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Moneys money mud, Doesnt matter how much you get its if you have fun ;) I would rather look for relics than clad any day. You should try going to some older areas, you would maybe have better luck there :)

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc

Mud it is not the detector it is the site everyoince and again you will luck into a place that is loaded, so loaded possibly that you wil decide not dig pennies. other times you have to go slow and deep to find anything at all. You will hit a motherload eventually if you detect enough places. Try school yards, or summer camp parks etc..

HH Vrent

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

Depends on the place and the detector and of course the user...I went from a few pennies, lots of foil and pull tabs to lots of coins and silver! I've found rings and a gold knife, relics here and there. The sites I hunt have been hunted for 25+ years by 'the pros' with all kinds of detectors, they are trashy and produce the oldies on occasion.

I believe that tone id is essential for digging what you want and an in-line probe makes target recoverey a snap.

Try the Explorer2 with the SunRay X-1 Probe. Run FerrousTones and wide open with IronMask @ -16, learn the sounds and you'll be pulling coins like they are raining from the sky.

Too expensive you say! I bought a detector for half the price, bought coils and coils trying to get the goods. Spent nearly as much as the Exp2, refused to believe that it mattered, eventually traded it in and for a loss moved to the Exp2. Basically my old detector it didn't have tone id and deep iron sounds like deep silver, foil sounds like shallow clad, etc. Metal=buzz, buzz and it didn't go that deep(not easily). Sure there are MXT and DFX programs, tweaks etc, the PrismIV is great and inexpensive, has tone id but doesn't go that deep or tweak. There are Fishers and others but in shoot-outs the Explorer just rocks even with just the stock coil. Put on a WOT or a Joey and super deep and trash are no longer problems.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, just my hard earned and expensive 2 cents worth.

HH

JW

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone,

Keep @ it and HH!!

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

TORRERO said:
JUST THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH SO HELP ME ZOD....

THE REALITY IS THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO METAL DETECT, PRO'S AND BEGINNERS,
NEVER GET THOSE KINDS OF NUMBERS. IN 20 YEARS OF HUNTING MANY MANY SITES
I'VE ONLY FOUND MAYBE 5-6 THAT WILL PRODUCE THOSE KINDS OF NUMBERS.

MOST PLACES YOUR LUCKY TO GET 1-2 QUARTERS MUCH LESS 20-30
ITS MY PERSONAL OPINION THAT THOSE WHO FREQUENT A PLACE LIKE THIS AND
JAM ABOUT THOSE NUMBER ON A REGULAR BASIS, PRABABLY ARE JAMING FOR ATTENTION...
BECAUSE AFTER 20 YEARS OF HUNTING I KNOW THAT $5 IN CHANGE IN A DAY IS A LOT.
BUT I'M IN NO HURRY TO POST IT HERE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
RICHARD
you relay think someone would say they found all that clad for attention i don't...why not say you found 10 silver quarters or something..i believe that everyone on this site dose find what they post ..and whats a matter with posting that you found only 97 cents..some folks on this forum are new and maybe thats all they can find right now and are proud of it..i hit a ski area and found over $21 in about 7 hours

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

When i read the title i thought you really found the kitchen sink :D ::)

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms

Mud................worked with another Mud for 31 yrs good guy . Finding a lot is in where you have to search.....My football field haul above was third trip to this area . This trip, looked in front of consession stand for first time . First trip to this area netted me about a dollar for two hrs , which is my limit because of a back injury . Another thing...I have never seen another m.d. in this town...so most places have many yrs accumulation of goodies . Several small towns around...so I figure have not scratched the surface . As far as some doubting what they read here..maybe thier abilities are not up to par yet. they will probably do better with more experience . I know i have ! The amount I find on a trip has gone up in the yr have had detector . Best haul in clad was in front and around a snowcone stand . $ 16.00 . hit consession stand at stock car track for about $13.50 in two trips . Gold ring here also . Keep it up...try to find site no one else has hit , you will be surprised how much has been lost . It still amazes me everytime I hit good spot . Haven`t paid for detector yet , but will hit it next yr for shure . Happy in ms !!!!!! :D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My best rate is 167 coins in a little under 4 hours. To dig a lot of coins it is simple, you need to find a target rich area that has not been hunted. A virgin sit that was a gathering place for a lot of activities. Examples: Summer camps, carnivals, fairs, camp meetings. Anywhere people gathered in groves that has not been touched. Good luck and I hope you find one soon. PS the ground at the area I was at was sandy and the digging was easy, targets less than 3 inches.

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all for your great post I will keep it all in mind! The winner is!! ecdonovan, thank you for the post that I was looking for. A pro who has really dug this many coins, tells how it is done.

Thanks again, all

Keep @ it and HH!!

Disclaimer: You don't win anything but, knowing you did good.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

Hey Mud,
As you know Bobbie and I have found a bit over the years , Bobbie completed her 4th year of detecting this past weekend, I am er well past that. All the others have posted good tips especially about picking an area that has the potential to produce. To location add what is really important and that is how well do you know your machine. Many years ago Charles Garrett wrote in one of his books that you cant even think to start you know your machine until you have logged at least 100 hours on it. You knowing your machine and being effective with it is key to consistanly findng keepers whether you are looking for clad in the park and schools, jewelry, relics, old coins, etc. Lastly never forget that this is a hobby, it is supposed to be fun, but like many other hobbies that require practice to become proficient so does this one. Keep at it and the good finds wil be yours too.
Remember that the only detector that wont find something, is the one sitting in the closet gathering dust
good luck on your next outings
hh
dave+bobbie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread