✅ SOLVED Old Odd looking Belt Buckle? Horse Bridle? Pls help!

agent132

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Garett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I went for a quick after work jaunt through our woods in Leesburg, VA and found this about 4-6" deep. It appears to be iron and has a sizeable weight to it...one side of the middle piece is flat, almost as if it sat up against something. I'm thinking it might be some kind of buckle, or possibly equestrian-related...but hoping someone will know! Also if you have any idea of how old it might be, i.e. civil war era, etc since this area has alot of that time period history to it.

Additionally, there is some sort of broken thin metal object that almost appears as a brittle tag of some kind, with no visible writing or inscription. This was about 3" deep in the middle of the same area in the woods. Detector was on all metal mode when it was found.

Thanks!!!
-G:occasion14:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 176
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 162

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is called a "clink pen" ... it is used in farming to hold pens thru yokes ..... 360 degree lawn mowers have them all over ............ wish I had a nickel for all of them I have lost in the fields ............... I don't know how long they have been around however .................

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Same description as longcut, except I call it a "Lynch pin."
Linch Pin.jpg

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a definition from Wikipedia:
"A linchpin, also spelled linch pin, lynchpin, or lynch pin, is a fastener used to prevent a wheel or other part from sliding off the axle upon which it is riding.
The word is first attested in the 14th century and derives from Middle English elements meaning "axletree pin".
Securing implements onto the three-point hitch of a tractor is an example of application. Linchpins may also be used in place of an R-clip for securing hitch pins."

The first tractor with a three point hitch was a 9N Ford in 1939, but the war slowed production of the tractor down, then in 1947 the 8N Ford was introduced,
also with a three point hitch. So I reckon lynchpin use on modern tractors dates to 1939. Linchpins have been used to hold wheels on axles according to the above
since the 14 century, but just off hand we don't know for sure if they looked the same, and I kind of doubt it. My swag is your pin was lost sometime between 1939
and now.
3 point hitch.jpg This tractor has a three point hitch with a tow bar installed, and the location of the lynchpin is noted.
1 pin.jpg And this close up shows the pin in place.

Attachments

• Three-point_linkage.jpg
    Three-point_linkage.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread