Old pipe tamper and my new yacht!

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
Me, Rob and Dickie did some hunting out in the water on Saturday.
We all found some things and had a good time. I found a coin that when I first pulled it up looked like a 2 cent piece.
It's in rough shape so it is hard to see the design on it. When I got home I started to think it was too big to be a 2 cent piece & looked in the book for what else it could be. I found a picture of a 6 pence coin that had a shield that looked like it could be the same one on the coin. So I thought that's what it was. But my eyes were playing tricks on me. I cleaned it a little more & then compaired it to the picture of the 2 cent piece. I could then see that in fact it was the right size and the shield was a better match. So I was right the first time! I also found a neat pipe tamper that I think dates back to the late 1800's or early 1900's. It's made of pewter. I found some other examples of them in a book I have. I found a pipe stem & a harmonica reed out there also. The other day I was land hunting in a park and found this plastic checker that was giving me a good signal. When I turned it over I saw why. Ha Ha!
I thought I would show you some pictures of my new yacht the SS Seabiscuit! I have a few more things to get for it like a canopy. But it's almost ready to hit the water. And after our boat almost sank on us the other day, we might have to use it sooner than later!
Seabiscuit

Attachments

• Water finds.JPG
    Water finds.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 829
  • Six Pence.JPG
    Six Pence.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 881
  • 2 cent piece.JPG
    2 cent piece.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 823
  • pipe tampers.JPG
    pipe tampers.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 822
  • pipe tamper story.JPG
    pipe tamper story.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 827
  • pipe tamper illstration.JPG
    pipe tamper illstration.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 859
  • Finds book.JPG
    Finds book.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 828
  • checker front.JPG
    checker front.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 819
  • checker back.JPG
    checker back.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 818
  • B 1.JPG
    B 1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 822
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 810
  • B3.JPG
    B3.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 821
Upvote 0
Woodland Detectors said:
Sweet finds buddy! I love the coin and pipe tamper. :headbang:
The boat is killer! It must fly like a raped ape. I want one. :laughing7:

Happy 4th buddy

Thanks a lot Mike. I am almost ready for the maiden voyage on the SS Seabiscuit. Will have it out soon, I hope.
You have a wonderful 4th too.
Floyd

Some very cool finds Floyd. Congrats on the 2 cent. :thumbsup:
Great looking new toy you have there too. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden voyage. Is Maryann coming along? :laughing7: I can just catch a small piece of that beautiful old Nova in one of your shots. BEAUTY!!!
-Dug-

The Pipe Tamper is Terrific man! The Boat is ALSO terrific! :icon_thumleft: :wink: :occasion14:

pewter would be unusual for a pipe tamper, are you sure?

PS. done some research, just to check & can't find any recorded examples in pewter.

SOooooo...does this mean you're gonna be the Skipper for the next outing? :D GREAT boat, SB! And the finds are super! :icon_pirat:

Nana :hello:

I love the Tamper ! Great find ! :icon_sunny: You are going to have a lot of fun in that boat of yours ! MaineRelic

Thanks everyone for the replies!

CRUSADER said:

PS. done some research, just to check & can't find any recorded examples in pewter.

Crusader I am not 100% sure it is pewter. That is just a guess on my part. I thought it was pewter when I found it. And then I checked the relic book shown above and it listed pewter as one of the many things they were made of. You can read the same thing I did shown above.
I could be wrong. Like I said it was just a guess.

Some great finds there Floyd. Your new boat looks like something a Navy SEAL team would use. Are Rob and Dickie going to bail over the side with their water detectors to get to the site sooner-LOL??? Great recoveries Bud, Quindy.

Seabiscuit said:

CRUSADER said:

Crusader I am not 100% sure it is pewter. That is just a guess on my part. I thought it was pewter when I found it. And then I checked the relic book shown above and it listed pewter as one of the many things they were made of. You can read the same thing I did shown above.

I know the book writer, very careful with his IDs, very well researched. Although there are probably a few out there in Pewter & yours still maybe (which would be good), they were mostly copper-alloy. I can't tell well enough to judge the photo :-\

Its a good find & not a type I seen until now :icon_thumright:

artzstuff1 said:
Awesome finds ,,,and love that "yacht",,I bet that thing will fly!!!!!!!!! :headbang:
We will see if it flies soon!
VOL1266-X said:
Some great finds there Floyd. Your new boat looks like something a Navy SEAL team would use. Are Rob and Dickie going to bail over the side with their water detectors to get to the site sooner-LOL??? Great recoveries Bud, Quindy.
Quindy those two pretty much do that now. I no sooner throw the anchor and they are in the water hunting! Especially Rob, he's always the first one in the water! Ha Ha.
CRUSADER said:
Seabiscuit said:

CRUSADER said:

I know the book writer, very careful with his IDs, very well researched. Although there are probably a few out there in Pewter & yours still maybe (which would be good), they were mostly copper-alloy. I can't tell well enough to judge the photo :-\

Its a good find & not a type I seen until now :icon_thumright:
Thank you Sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back