Old question by new enthusiast

Gizmo1211

Jun 20, 2017
Phoenix Az ( don't believe the "it's a dry heat" b
Detector(s) used
Still looking! Will update. Newbie to all.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I decided to metal detect. I was told I need a hobby, and thanks to this site, I now have about 4 lol. I've been reading posts, questions,answers, doing research but still can't decide what metal detector would be right for me.
Here are some of my wants.
1. Easy to use, quick to learn, but I'm not afraid to read and practice.
2. One that will fold up for easy carrying (also a rockhound, so have a lot of stuff)
3. Headphone jack that is campatable for earbuds? Or is that a dumb idea? Maybe all are but had to ask.
4. I live in AZ...ground is horribly hard, nothing interesting where I live, But want to take it north and to surrounding states.
5. I read somewhere the line to coil can be a problem with collapsible one.
6. Not too concerned about waterproof but would be a bonus.
7. Reasonable price. Not rich, so if I don't like the first one, I can move on to a new one.
8.Would a pin pointer be worth it? I'm also purchasing rock collector stuff. Yup, I go all out when I get an idea!
9.I read here that a screen helps a lot for beginners.
10. Coil size? I get that bigger coil, bigger area, is it worth it right off the bat?
11. Somewhat light weight...not as young as I used to be. Bad left shoulder, but right handed, but can't strain that too much. God...I'm picky!!!
A lot of questions I know, but I also know the experts here can help. I know everyone has their favorites, and I've read the pluses of all but now more confused than ever, lol. I've been looking at the Bounty Hunter platinum, or the Tesoro silver u-max.But have read about so many others. They both have things I like. Is there one that covers most of my wants?
I so appreciate any and all advice!
Thanks
Karen
Oh, anything out there that will also detect minerals too? Am I asking for too much? This would be a big purchase for me, so just want to make sure I make right decision.
Geesh, never researched a car this way...bad sign?;?! :)

Gary41

Greenie
Jul 22, 2015
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kinda partial to Tesoro's. I have three of them. Very light weight and easy to use. Call Rusty at Tesoro. He will answer all your questions with no sales pressure.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Karen..

All Tesoros are well made, simple to use, and they're all light in weight. Most weigh about 2½ pounds, and they all come with a lifetime warranty for the original owner. They're based in Arizona and great folks to deal with if you ever do need help.

If you don't want to spend too much, read up on the new Tesoro Mojave. They're a great detector at a reasonably low $251.

If you can spend more, consider either a Vaquero or Outlaw, depending on how much trash you'll be digging around and what features you like most. I prefer Outlaw if there's lots of trash around, but many prefer Vaquero.. Do plenty of reading up on each model.

Tesoros while not "collapsable", do break down into short sections and fit into some backpacks.
Some people do use earbuds with an adapter, but earbuds have weak, thin cords that can/will get caught on brush and twigs. Most folks like headphones made for detecting, as they'll take some abuse.
I suggested the Mojave as they have a "high/low" switch to help compensate for varying ground mineral changes. Both Outlaw and Vaquero have a fully adjustable ground balance control for that, so should handle your AZ soil conditions fairly well.
Coils hold up quite well as long as you're careful, and Tesoro coils are waterproof but control housings are not, with the land models I suggested. That means you can have the coil and pole under shallow water, but don't drop the detector in..
Some people do without a pinpointer when starting out, but once you try one.. You'll want it.
Get a good pinpointer when you do buy one. Garrett and Whites both make good ones, some people also like Nokta and Makro pinpointers. Read up on 'em. You'll also want a quality digging tool or two, a finds pouch or apron, maybe knee pads, and probably more.

You don't need a screen to find good stuff, and most Tesoros don't have one. Tesoro DeLeon and Cortes are exceptions, but cost more than the models I suggested. Many people on this forum have a DeLeon, find plenty, and they swear by them.

Coil size? Use and learn the stock one for starters, then go smaller if you have lots of trash.
Big coils are heavier, harder to swing for long periods, and they don't do as well with seperating trash. They are good at covering more ground quickly and do detect deeper.

Hope that's of some help. Happy hunting! :sunny:

OP
OP
G

Gizmo1211

Jun 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all the information!! I really appreciate your time. I'll check out some of the suggestions. Hope to get it soon, going to an aunt's in an old tiny Town in Colorado and want to search her land! To darn hot here!
Karen

OP
OP
G

Gizmo1211

Jun 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kinda partial to Tesoro's. I have three of them. Very light weight and easy to use. Call Rusty at Tesoro. He will answer all your questions with no sales pressure.

Thanks!! I've read their customer service is the best, and just found out from pinenut they are based in az...I'm definitely leaning that way.
Thanks!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!! I've read their customer service is the best, and just found out from pinenut they are based in az...I'm definitely leaning that way.
Thanks!

Yep; they're in Prescott, AZ and I believe their detectors are all built there too.

Their service is super. They actually have a friendly lady answering the phone when you call, and not some damned automated system.
They seem OK with you calling and asking questions, and they don't rush you off the phone. When (if) you do send a detector in for repair, they get things done quickly.
I wish all American companies still had that kind of service! :icon_sunny:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imho: If $600 is in your budget, Tesoro DeLeon and Makro pinpointer.
If $300 budget: Mojave and Makro pinpointer.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imho: If $600 is in your budget, Tesoro DeLeon and Makro pinpointer.
If $300 budget: Mojave and Makro pinpointer.

You know Vern, you make me want to pick up a DeLeon to play with.. :icon_sunny:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just do it pinenut.....won't be sorry. Promise.

Rob in (ca)

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of Hunting are you going to most ( TOT Lot - Parks - Lake hunting - deep coin - Nugget Hunting - sports fields ) you left that out, as that narrows down the type detector you need.

A Pin-pointer is a must have, i would go home if mine broke.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread