Upgrade advice

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about getting a new Tesoro Outlaw or a ATpro. I mostly hunt yards and overgrown area's and some fresh water beaches, no nugget hunting. I do get in the water but only about a foot deep, use the Compadre for the shallow water. I have a golden µmax but would like a G.B. unit so the outlaw 3 coil package seems to fit as i have a 4" ε coil. The golden is a good unit if you detect frequently. But i find that when i get a chance to hunt anymore i grab the Compadre cuz no time lost playing with controls, easier to get focused on detecting. The ATPRO would also fit my budget but i never used anything other then Tesoro.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the Vaquero over the Outlaw.

After swinging Tesoros all day, it's hard to go back to the weight of a Garrett for me, but I'm old. The extra pound makes a difference....

They've got a newer ATPro version out, the ATMax, comes with wireless headphones.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I used ATP prior to Deus. ATP worked well... AT Max with wireless headset would be a good choice.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve, why the Vaquero? Pinpoint vs retune, you prefer delta, or the multi frequency? I like the coil pack with the Outlaw but other then that have no preference. Just want a good all around unit that's fairly simple to set up but need ground balance due to lead ore in some areas i detect.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read plenty about the Outlaw..

..Outlaw has a couple of "quirks". I really like the Outlaw but it has some issues with the retune button performing multiple functions, and requiring occasional retune - holding coil up and either depressing the retune button OR switching over to all-metal, then back. Seems you need to do that quick retune if you alter any control settings while detecting, and after using the button to detune while pinpointing. Not really a big deal, but it seems odd and takes some getting used to.

That said, Outlaw has excellent discrimination and good (but not awesome) depth. It's a little deeper than several of my older 5 pin Tesoros, but still not as deep as Tesoro's 4 pin machines (Vaquero, Tejon, LoboST, Cibola). Outlaw's disc range is well spaced for coin and jewelry hunting, and its "ED120" disc is great at blocking out small iron. You can set disc between foil and nickel, and bottle caps will just give a click or be completely gone; same with most average size nails - that's with concentric coils, BTW, not the Widescans. Outlaw is one of my preferred Tesoros for trashy areas.
Once you get used to using Outlaw, you'll probably find it to be a great detector.. but beware of those "quirks".

If considering Vaquero - I find it a little simpler to learn than Outlaw, deeper and without those "quirks", but - I don't like it quite as much in trashy areas, I like the standard tone less, and I don't like the knob switch to go from disc to all-metal. I much prefer the Outlaw's toggle. Vaquero is a very good all-rounder, but I still like using the Outlaw a little more.

Maybe a couple other Outlaw users will chime in with their likes and dislikes of the Outlaw. :coffee2:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve, why the Vaquero? Pinpoint vs retune, you prefer delta, or the multi frequency? I like the coil pack with the Outlaw but other then that have no preference. Just want a good all around unit that's fairly simple to set up but need ground balance due to lead ore in some areas i detect.

I think the Vaquero is the deepest of the umax series; the Tejon is too heavy and feels like a Garrett with all them batteries. I have the Outlaw and the Vaquero is deeper. If you want to coin shoot with the Vaquero, just run the gain back and/or use the 5 3/4 concentric. If it was me, I'd order the Vaquero with the 11x8 RSD, and a 5 3/4 concentric. There is no right answer, if you can afford an ATPro, get the Vaquero and Outlaw lol.

I like jewelry and iron, the Vaquero higher frequency 14kc works for me.

:occasion14:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Plus, there is a black Vaq in the classifieds..... Very clean!

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that Beerguy but jonesin for that new detector smell:happy3:. Steve by gain your talking sensitivity? I watched a few youtubes on both Tesoro's and really not swayed either way. Seems switching to all metal using the Vaquero's button works well enough. The trashy area deal bothers me more but as you say turn down the gain. Who takes trade ins?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's one right answer..

?.If it was me, I'd order the Vaquero with the 11x8 RSD, and a 5 3/4 concentric. There is no right answer, if you can afford an ATPro, get the Vaquero and Outlaw lol.

I like jewelry and iron, the Vaquero higher frequency 14kc works for me.

:occasion14:

I'd say get a nice Bandido II μMAX and a Vaquero..but I still like the Outlaw too. :tongue3:

You won't go wrong with a Vaquero, but Outlaw could have you scratching your head in wonder. I like using it though, as its disc is as good as the Bandido's (maybe better). I like to toggle into all-metal in cleaner areas, and I like the detune feature for dead-on pinpointing. It's a really good detector for trashy parks, where you want to use a coin probe or dig the smallest possible plug.

What Steve says is pretty good advice; consider a Vaquero with 11x8 AND get a 5.75 concentric. Those are both great coils, and all I ever want for my Vaquero.

Of course, the Outlaw with 3 coil pack comes with two great concentric coils (my two favorite coils) and a bigger Widescan(DD) for those less trashy spots..

You'll find plenty with either detector, but Vaquero is surely the more popular choice. If you do go the Vaquero route, be aware that Tesoro offers not only the standard tone, but also a "high-tone" version. A standard one can be converted to high, if you want to have that done (for either a $15 or $50 fee, depending..) Only difference is the audio tone you'll hear when in disc mode.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Outlaw is the way to go with the Three coil package if you can afford it. The Vaquero with the 11" x 8" DD coil would be my second choice. There is also a Minelab Safari available for $500.00 in the classifieds. Best of luck! :icon_thumleft:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried a lot of Tesoro detectors, my choice would be the Vaquero with the 5.75 inch concentric search coil. It's a great combo! It's deep and hard to beat at trashy sites. At less trashy open sites the Vaquero and the Nel Sharpshooter search coil make a great pair.

tabman

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't go without saying anything here on the thread regarding the Vaquero 11x8 RSD and the 5.75 con, just the perfect complement for the Black Vaquero..I would like to here what other Tesoro coil blends are an absolute must as well..what about the Bandido II uMax and Deleon or any others..I realize it depends on your soil and junky areas but lets say low to moderate soil and slightly junkie areas if this helps.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coils..

Can't go without saying anything here on the thread regarding the Vaquero 11x8 RSD and the 5.75 con, just the perfect complement for the Black Vaquero..I would like to here what other Tesoro coil blends are an absolute must as well..what about the Bandido II uMax and Deleon or any others..I realize it depends on your soil and junky areas but lets say low to moderate soil and slightly junkie areas if this helps.

Bandido II μMAX: 5.75" concentric, 8" donut, 11x8 Widescan...in that order, from most used to least, but all work great on the Bandido. I choose depending on where I'm going and how much trash I expect.
Same coils for Outlaw and Eldorado.

I don't have a DeLeon, but I'd likely keep a 7" concentric or the 8" donut on one if I did.

john67

Mar 31, 2017
CONNEAUT LAKE PA
Detector(s) used
V3I, DEUS, E TRAC, XTERRA 705, AT PRO, CZ3D, TEJON, VAQUERO, F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vaq is deeper than the at pro at least in my soil. 5.75 and 11x8 very good choice. ive had the at pro twice as long as the vaq but ive found more good deep pennies and silver dimes with the vaq. only time I use the at pro anymore is when its raining or im detecting in the water. don't know much about the outlaw but it shouldn't be too far behind the vaq.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions