Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just returned two class rings within the last 2 months I enjoy that. I pray that if I find a Diamond ring that there is no name in it!!!LOL I'm just that way I contacted this person for info this railroad only existed for a few years. In the late 1880s Toledo Ann Arbor Northern Michigan. I know it all depends on the person and how they feel about things like this. I want to keep it but would donate it to their Museum I just don't want it to sit in a box somewhere I don't think its Museum worthy I need to think about it!!!!!! I would enjoy it in my display case but lots of people could enjoy it if donated!! I have enough drama with my two Daughters. Am I selfish to keep it!!! A ring is one thing I will return!! Any thoughts Thanks Tommy Here is my email Trail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My name is Tommy I do lots of Metal detecting in Ann Arbor for old coins and relics. I recently found a metal tag The very top says W.W.Wilcox Chicago and you can see the rest of the tag. I was hoping you might be able to help me with any information about it. I am so sorry to bother you I have tried every thing I know to find out more about it . I believe it is railroad related.Thank you so much for any help you might be able to give me.. I would be very appreciative of it Thanks Tommy Reply Tommy, I think you are right. I am president of the Ann Arbor Railroad Technical & Historical Association, a group that explores Ann Arbor Railroad history and also does some modeling of Ann Arbor Railroad equipmentl The initials on this match one of the names that the AARR had in its earlier times.... late 1880's. It was then named the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan Railway, and that ios consistent with the initials on the tag. I don't know specifically what that tag was used for, but probably it was part of a seal that was used to lock boxcar doors one they were full, to assure that there wasn't pilfering or theft en route to their destination.

I have a number of friends in our organization that may know more than me on this subjecct, so I will forward your photo to them and ask for help in identifying itl. I will get back to you with whatever I learn.

Our organization has a room for display of artifacts at the Michigan State Railroad Museum in the Durand Union Station. I'd love to add this tag to our display there if you are willing to donate it.

One last thing for now, where did you find it?

Thank you for contacting me. 20170501_204729.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tommy, I believe you have a baggage tag which are worth money if rare. I would be very inclined to do more research before I donated anything. If there is a display at the State Railroad Museum you can possibly loan it for display but to just give it away. I would say no.

Looks like a very nice find. And even if a diamond ring has a name, they are pretty impossible to return. However, you might prove me wrong!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks scuba Ive found this is from the Toledo Ann Arbor Northern Michigan RR line that only existed a few years I think I need more research on this. Thanks Are you back in MI from UTAH yet ? Cant wait to see you killing it here again!!!Tommy

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id donate them the middle finger - and enjoy it myself. It would likely never see the light of day if given to them. Your tag, your call!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks scuba Ive found this is from the Toledo Ann Arbor Northern Michigan RR line that only existed a few years I think I need more research on this. Thanks Are you back in MI from UTAH yet ? Cant wait to see you killing it here again!!!Tommy

Yep I am back. Only went on one 3 minute dive to retrieve a smart key for a Dodge off the back of a boat. WAY TOO cold yet! Waiting for some warmer and cleaner water near me.

I might loan my finds but never donate them. Bad mistake because they can sell a donated find whenever they want, and you wouldn't see a dime.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ill keep it Thanks Scuba and WarBaby I didn't think about them selling it. I remember that Indiana Jones Raiders of the lost Ark and all he went through then at the end they put the Ark ion a huge warehouse to sit lol

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Scuba.......They can sell it at any time.......Have seen this happen many times! Also worries me that that guy would think your tag was for sealing a car, when it is clearly a baggage tag. Just saying!
By the way......Great find!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dale I wouldn't mind donating it if it was used for the right reason but who knows. Thanks Buddy, Tommy

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Tommy. I have a large "Fur Trade" collection that came from a local, former Ioway Indian village site. Will eventually give it to the Ioway Nation in Kansas WHEN I am satisfied they have a safe & secure tribal museum.

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Dale I mean if I knew for sure that it would be on display I would be ok , but I don't even know how it works . I'm glad I asked Thanls

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I agree with you Tommy. I have a large "Fur Trade" collection that came from a local, former Ioway Indian village site. Will eventually give it to the Ioway Nation in Kansas WHEN I am satisfied they have a safe & secure tribal museum.

Iowa Dale

Even if they have a safe and secure museum. That still gives them the right to sell your donation. Set up a trust with your siblings. Have a plaque made up that says on loan from bla bla bla family trust. If your items become rare and valuable, your kin can reap the rewards of it being sold. Donating rare finds I think is a mistake. My free 2Β’

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the 2 cents and they are wheats to boot I'm going to keep it.. It would be rotting in the ground if I didn't find it and it seems to iffy that they would do right by it.Thanks Bob

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool tag!!! I'd keep her for sure!!! If they wanted it on loan for a display perhaps...but today...the government takes it all back some way!!!:BangHead:

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool tag!!! I'd keep her for sure!!! If they wanted it on loan for a display perhaps...but today...the government takes it all back some way!!!:BangHead:
I hear that for sure!!! Just ask Mel Fisher

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At the end of 1890, the Commissioner of Railroads reports the total mileage of the Toledo, Ann Arbor & North Michigan as 285.56 miles in the state of Michigan.
Source:
http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/AARRHistory/Building%20Ann%20Arbor%20RR/Bldg_AnnArbor-RR.html

Also: "To reorganize the property the bondholders conveyed the assets of the North Michigan to the reorganization committee on September 13, 1895.[119] Several of the companies that were transferred to the North Michigan still had bonds outstanding at the beginning of the receivership. The TAA&GT, the North Michigan (of 1882), the Mt. Pleasant, the Cadillac, and the Lake Michigan, as well as the current North Michigan, had to go through a foreclosure sale on July 2, 1895.[120] These companies' corporate lives finally came to an end. The reorganization committe conveyed the assets to a new company on October 14, 1895"
Source:
http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/AARRHistory/Building%20Ann%20Arbor%20RR/Bldg_AnnArbor-RR.html

The 'lifespan' of the company on your tag might them be 1888 and 1895.
Don....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread