Old Railroad medal perhaps and a neat surface find.

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old medal today I think it might be related to the railroad In salt lake? Also found this neat old bakelite toothbrush that managed to survive underground. Gold plated indian im sure is some sort of cigar wrapper, but though id share it cause its neat.Thanks for looking. 1582608684758-1334136918.jpg 1582608953372-1125977872.jpg

Says sp.co lines lust of sparks at top.
Section 1
N.&C. Ry.

Last edited:
Upvote 21

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That medal is very nice. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find info about it.

Do you think N & C Ry stands for [FONT=&quot]The Nashville and Chattanooga (N&C) Railroad?[/FONT]

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That medal is very nice. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find info about it.

Do you think N & C Ry stands for [FONT="]The Nashville and Chattanooga (N&C) Railroad?[/FONT]

I think its one of a kind i cant find much but the RR

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think its one of a kind i cant find much but the RR

Do you think it is related to the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad?
Where was it found?
What does all the writing on it say?

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is what I see

S.P. Co Lines East of Sparks
Section 1 N&C Ry
Salt Lake Division
For Best Section in District

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here's your history w/ thanks to the S&P historical society who replied to my query for you. Looks rare according to my search. Congrats!

Greetings. You have a very interesting medal there. This would have been given to the section gang who worked on the track of the Nevada and California Railway after SP purchased the former Carson and Colorado Narrow Gauge that ran from Mound House, Nevada to Keeler, California. The N&C was considered part of the Salt Lake Division, and they quickly standard-gauged the line from Mound House to Mina. At Churchill, a newly-constructed line was built north to Hazen on the Overland Route that connected the railroad to the outside system without transferring freight to the Virginia and Truckee Railroad at Mound House. Lots of history in your award!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here's your history w/ thanks to the S&P historical society who replied to my query for you. Looks rare according to my search. Congrats!

Greetings. You have a very interesting medal there. This would have been given to the section gang who worked on the track of the Nevada and California Railway after SP purchased the former Carson and Colorado Narrow Gauge that ran from Mound House, Nevada to Keeler, California. The N&C was considered part of the Salt Lake Division, and they quickly standard-gauged the line from Mound House to Mina. At Churchill, a newly-constructed line was built north to Hazen on the Overland Route that connected the railroad to the outside system without transferring freight to the Virginia and Truckee Railroad at Mound House. Lots of history in your award!
Great job thats great info and research Amazing find now even more Awesome thread....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On December 4, 1908, on page 7, the Deseret Evening News (Great Salt Lake, Utah), published the following entry:
"For best section in district, (Mr.) Harte, section 1, N & C. Ry. Salt Lake division Southern Pacific". You will see this entry just above "Promoting Railroads" here: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045555/1908-12-04/ed-1/seq-7/

The wording in the newspaper coincides with the writing on your medal. My guess (not a big stretch) is the article in the paper describes the event (inspection award) that resulted in the presentation of your medal. !!

Great piece of history.
Don........

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On December 4, 1908, on page 7, the Deseret Evening News (Great Salt Lake, Utah), published the following entry:
"For best section in district, (Mr.) Harte, section 1, N & C. Ry. Salt Lake division Southern Pacific". You will see this entry just above "Promoting Railroads" here: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045555/1908-12-04/ed-1/seq-7/

The wording in the newspaper coincides with the writing on your medal. My guess (not a big stretch) is the article in the paper describes the event (inspection award) that resulted in the presentation of your medal. !!

Great piece of history.
Don........

Oh you are good! Not often a award is matched to the same day awarded and the name of who it was awarded to!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool thanks for researching for me, be neat to see it in a railroad museum one day the research is definently correct

OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great piece of history.
Don........

WOW so cool cant believe we got a name and history of the silver award from 1908 thats as neat as it gets. Also it mentions just Harte, that would be cool if it was one of the 3 ladies mentioned who also got a SP award

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Great piece of history.
Don........

That's some excellent research .. You da man, Sir! Well done!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds- like your account name- my fav book..

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think, based on the rarity and historical significance, that this item would be banner worthy.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, congrats! :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find
Great ID’s and research

Likes for everyone

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in awhile a find comes to the surface and starts as a "What's this?"
Then the research begins and collectively you guys piece together the item and it's history.
I am in awe of the talent and research capabilities of our Tnet members.
Congrats to everyone who contributed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread