Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

In spite of the heat, the Canefield Bandits have been continuing to dig. Lately we've been lining up permissions for fall (looks like we'll add another couple thousand acres to our "ownership" by the time fall rolls around). :)

Anyhow, we've been exploring a new site in a new area that has a mix of targets from the 1830s up to the 1940s. On Friday, I found some "new" marbles there, and some wheat cents, and Shane dug a 1940 nickel. We have dug Seated coins from this field though, and it pays to dig through all the new junk. I was rewarded with two old clay marbles, and pieces of a "high neck" spur, ca. 1840. (Thanks, Rob, for the ID!)

Was very surprised to dig what was either a cane topper or parasol handle made of silver, which still had pieces of the wooden handle inside.

Saturday morning, we were up before dawn to catch the cooler hours. In Louisiana, you either bake in the evening heat and get eaten by mosquitos, or you deal with the morning humidity that makes it feel almost that hot. Saturday, we had the latter.

That day, we got real close to a new, early site on some property that we haven't had a chance to explore since it is such a long drive. The site has tall sugarcane growing in it, and won't be huntable until late December, but we have a good idea of where it is now. I dug two tombac buttons and a small cuff button. Pieces of lead flashing (from boat-building) came up, as well as a musketball that Shane dug. Also, Shane dug a piece of a Georgian era copper collander (he dug one of these on our other Colonial site as well this year).

I got a killer coin/can signal, and dug down and saw a large silver colored disk staring at me from the bottom of the hole. Thinking it was a screw top, I bent over and realized that it was a coin! A 1957-D Franklin Half that was obviously a farmer-drop.

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

I'm normally after something a lot older, but I'll certainly take this big silver coin. It's actually my first Franklin. Not something I ever would've expected--or searched for. So this brings the total to 10 silver coins this year for me, spanning almost 220 years.

Below are the photos of my finds from both short hunts. In the center are the Franklin Half, the silver cane topper, a broken heel plate, and flat buttons. Around the edge, clockwise from the 9 o'clock position are part of a wick trimmer, barrel tap piece, clock key, unbroken small brown bottle (hinge mold), brass stirrup piece, clay marbles, and the c.1840s spur (two pieces).

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome Franklin! now just how does a cane with a topper like that get broken? maybe someone got cranked over the head with it

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Very nice!!WTG!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks good BB!! Sorry I could not return your call Sat. but we were preparing for my son's wedding. I figured you or Shane had dug another silver coin when my wife said you had called but I would have not guessed a Franklin-WTG. Like the cane piece. HH, Q.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you, Umrgolf, and a few others are our only competition to those funny word spelling English detectorists across the pond.

Keep it up.

Carl

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good BB!! Sorry I could not return your call Sat. but we were preparing for my son's wedding. I figured you or Shane had dug another silver coin when my wife said you had called but I would have not guessed a Franklin-WTG. Like the cane piece. HH, Q.

I wouldn't have guessed it either. But coupled with the good news about permissions, and the location of a colonial site, I think it was a great day. :)

-Buckles

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day indeed! Wtg

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bunch of finds you got there Buckleboy :thumbsup: that heat can be brutal :BangHead:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have ya another site to work there Will.:icon_thumright: Other then the coin & the Mercurochome bottle which dates around that time you seem to be on another early site.
Good Luck with it & continue on.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 148970700144179570SmNyXZ4Fc[1].jpg
    148970700144179570SmNyXZ4Fc[1].jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bunch of finds you got there Buckleboy :thumbsup: that heat can be brutal :BangHead:

Yeah, ice-water rag on the back of the neck and several liters of icy water in a camelbak is the only hope. Gonna dig until the new cane is planted in late July if I can stand it. No all-day hunts for us this time of year; three or four-hour mini-hunts is about all we can stand.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice half and relics digs for sure.Keep cool out there.........................................

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You canefield Bandits are just molesting the state of Louisiana, :laughing9: Keep up the good work!.....And HH:headbang:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice Silvers ...congrats ! :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have ya another site to work there Will.:icon_thumright: Other then the coin & the Mercurochome bottle which dates around that time you seem to be on another early site.
Good Luck with it & continue on.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Thank you so much for your reply, Pete! We have our fingers crossed about the new, early site. Hoping there is a lot of material culture laying around in the field to find. :) Thanks for the ID on that little bottle. It's rare to find anything glass in the field that has escaped the plow.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, like the silver topper. Probably taken out and mislaid by kids playing, then hit by farm machinery. Nuggy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread