Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

In spite of the heat, the Canefield Bandits have been continuing to dig. Lately we've been lining up permissions for fall (looks like we'll add another couple thousand acres to our "ownership" by the time fall rolls around). :)

Anyhow, we've been exploring a new site in a new area that has a mix of targets from the 1830s up to the 1940s. On Friday, I found some "new" marbles there, and some wheat cents, and Shane dug a 1940 nickel. We have dug Seated coins from this field though, and it pays to dig through all the new junk. I was rewarded with two old clay marbles, and pieces of a "high neck" spur, ca. 1840. (Thanks, Rob, for the ID!)

Was very surprised to dig what was either a cane topper or parasol handle made of silver, which still had pieces of the wooden handle inside.

Saturday morning, we were up before dawn to catch the cooler hours. In Louisiana, you either bake in the evening heat and get eaten by mosquitos, or you deal with the morning humidity that makes it feel almost that hot. Saturday, we had the latter.

That day, we got real close to a new, early site on some property that we haven't had a chance to explore since it is such a long drive. The site has tall sugarcane growing in it, and won't be huntable until late December, but we have a good idea of where it is now. I dug two tombac buttons and a small cuff button. Pieces of lead flashing (from boat-building) came up, as well as a musketball that Shane dug. Also, Shane dug a piece of a Georgian era copper collander (he dug one of these on our other Colonial site as well this year).

I got a killer coin/can signal, and dug down and saw a large silver colored disk staring at me from the bottom of the hole. Thinking it was a screw top, I bent over and realized that it was a coin! A 1957-D Franklin Half that was obviously a farmer-drop.

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

I'm normally after something a lot older, but I'll certainly take this big silver coin. It's actually my first Franklin. Not something I ever would've expected--or searched for. So this brings the total to 10 silver coins this year for me, spanning almost 220 years.

Below are the photos of my finds from both short hunts. In the center are the Franklin Half, the silver cane topper, a broken heel plate, and flat buttons. Around the edge, clockwise from the 9 o'clock position are part of a wick trimmer, barrel tap piece, clock key, unbroken small brown bottle (hinge mold), brass stirrup piece, clay marbles, and the c.1840s spur (two pieces).

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, like the silver topper. Probably taken out and mislaid by kids playing, then hit by farm machinery. Nuggy

Could be. I have a tough time believing that someone would've tossed out a cane that had a silver top. Perhaps if it was broken, but the top would've still been worth something.

Thanks for your reply,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread