boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirks got a real good idea! Even if you only got the roll processed, you can still get film/slide scanners for around $20 Then play with them in photoshop. I've got a VistaQuest FS-503. Works great to bring back those faded slides the family shot back in the 50s! I remember when you could call Kodak in Rochester New York & they'd literally walk you through step by step! Fine & dandy until you figured it cost you $40 or $45 in long distance charges. Seriously! check out the film slide scanners they're a lot more useful than you'd imagine for the money. Oh, you can cut masks and do 110 or even disk film.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done a number of old found films, and what I would ask The Darkroom to do, is to process the negatives as black & white, using either HC-110, Rodinal, or maybe Diafine. Then, do what Film Rescue does, which is scan the B&W images, then re-process the film in best-guess color chemicals, after a bath in potassium ferrocyanide and potassium bromide (I think).

If the film has already been processed as B+W. how can you go back and reprocess it as color? (Not trying to be stupid, honestly curious)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe you could have gotten Disney to recover and restore the images on the film! They seem to be great at restoring old films and when they re-release them many years later, they make 2,000,000% profit or more by releasing them in DVD's and Blu-Ray disks.:tongue3:

Frank

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shucks - the roll of film was empty

Attachments

• DSCF3007.JPG
    DSCF3007.JPG
    968.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF3008.JPG
    DSCF3008.JPG
    857.3 KB · Views: 107

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll be hunting for the '' fat lady photos '' tomorrow - could take me a while . LOL

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the film has already been processed as B+W. how can you go back and reprocess it as color? (Not trying to be stupid, honestly curious)

Hi Keith -

It's called "Film Acceleration", and is a two step process.

Here is filmrescue.com's simplified explanation: https://www.filmrescue.com/faq/what-is-film-acceleration-and-why-and-when-do-we-do-it/

And here are two images that they did this way, one came out fine, the other the color was toast: http://www.filmrescue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/BW-to-color1.jpg

I don't know the exact science behind it, but color films are made up of dye layers. Those dyes can deteriorate over time, as far as color retention goes, but the latent image (the undeveloped image on the film) is still there. The B&W developing chemicals can bring out the image without messing with the dyes. After it's developed in B&W, the film is then processed in Potassium Ferrocyanide, and Potassium Bromide, and then processed again in regular color processing chemicals. The two potassium chemicals do something to the dye layers (I think) that undo some of what the B&W chemicals (the fixer most likely) did to the dyes to make them 'developable' again.

I've been wanting to try it myself, and I even have the Potassium Ferrocyanide, but not the bromide. If you do a search for film acceleration, you'll see how it's done, as well as some alternative ways that people do it. There is also what's called cross-processing, but that has a different (creative) purpose, but essentially, with film acceleration you're cross processing, restabilizing, then processing normally.

Before I started metal detecting, all my free time was spent with a camera around my neck, or developing film.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the explanation. I still don't fully understand how that can work, so I guess I have some more reading to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions