Old sayings

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how many times have i mentioned them in my posts ? can you say antidepressants ? if mr. ed was horsing around with the producers wife that was some kinky sex. no wonder they cancelled the show ?

Antidepressants?

@&$!, I though it stood for "accidental discharge", like a Lt. Captain that got shot in the azz by his corporal.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antidepressants?

@&$!, I though it stood for "accidental discharge", like a Lt. Captain that got shot in the azz by his corporal.

I thought Alcohol and Drugs.:laughing7: "accidental discharge" could probably mean a couple of things!:dontknow:

Not sure if this one was mentioned already, but my Grandfather use to say when half mad "I'll box your ears" or "Do you want your ears boxed?" We never knew what it actually meant. But we knew he was a fighter when he was younger and figured we didn't want it, whatever it was didn't sound fun to us!

And I'm sure this is in the thread somewhere, but just incase...."I'll get a switch!!!" or "Simmer down, I'll make you go get a switch!!" Another saying that was very rarely used by my grandparents, they kept that for extreme cases, they never did it, just the idea was enough to get us to calm down.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Hows it hanging fellas

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After one of those long, hard days, I remember hearing " Feel like I've been rode hard and put away wet"

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was rad! Prettty knarly mad skills on a trick bike(pedal bike or skate board) dude. sk8 or die man! Totally tubular freak!!!

Not really a saying but some words you really don't hear much anymore, thrown together.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That was rad! Prettty knarly mad skills on a trick bike(pedal bike or skate board) dude. sk8 or die man! Totally tubular freak!!!

Not really a saying but some words you really don't hear much anymore, thrown together.
Far out!

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like...gag me with a spoon! :laughing9:

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q

Could Tar stand for tarnation?

I think your right. People still use it :)

Tarnation: The act of damning or the condition of being damned.
interj.
Used to express anger or annoyance.
[Alteration (influenced by tarnal) of darnation.]
Word History: The history of the noun and interjection tarnation illustrates a phenomenon called taboo deformation, by which words that can be considered offensive or impolite under some circumstances are made more acceptable or softer-sounding by altering one or more sounds that make up the words. Tarnation appears to be a variant of darnation, itself a taboo deformation of damnation, in the same way that darn is an alteration of damn. Tarnation, however, seems to have been influenced by tarnal!, another mild oath that is derived from the adjective eternal—as used in eternal damnation! for instance. The taboo deformations darn, darnation, and tarnation have been used in New England since the late 1700s.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bro, your familiar with proper names and not these PC Take A White Mans Ranch names.

So you know Rhodesia then.

DRC is no joke though, lot of location in Africa turned soft in regards to conflict, like play ground joke like Iraq or the Ghan was, but DRC I am sure is one that will always remain fun for the young body able men or old minded folks.

I kind of stumbled into it. Found this YT vid called The Guns For Hire-Mercenaries In The Congo.
Which can't be posted here cause of a few dead bodies.
One thing I get out of a lot of this is people work hard, sacrifice, build something, create something, and then other people come in wanting to just take it away.
Few years ago I saw some photos of what became of Johannesburg after apartheid. Crazy.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Q

Could Tar stand for tarnation?

One definition has it originating sheep shearing time.
Nicks/cuts were daubed with tar to stop the bleeding.
It must have dried some with time ...But would then have to be be beat out of the wool.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"Came out of the deal smellin like a rose."

"Ain't gonna take it laying down".

"Rode hard and put away wet" , referred to sweaty horses. Which must be cooled by slow walking (a fan could help instead if conditions are right) to avoid issues with heat stress.
In cold weather a horse sweated should be dried to to avoid big swings in body temp when a wet blanket is removed...

Another not heard lately (must be the company I been keeping ) is "You look like you been swung at and missed , and shi# at and hit!"

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Came out of the deal smellin like a rose."

"Ain't gonna take it laying down".

"Rode hard and put away wet" , referred to sweaty horses. Which must be cooled by slow walking (a fan could help instead if conditions are right) to avoid issues with heat stress.
In cold weather a horse sweated should be dried to to avoid big swings in body temp when a wet blanket is removed...

Another not heard lately (must be the company I been keeping ) is "You look like you been swung at and missed , and shi# at and hit!"

Keep seeing stuff I forgot. Tar would have been awful hard to get out of wool.
Made me think of how it smelled when trucks sprayed oil on roads in summer.
Well I do declare...get a head of steam on...pigsticker...cut from the same cloth...birds of a feather...got skunked. Cream of the crop. My memory is long ss a piss-ant.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One definition has it originating sheep shearing time.
Nicks/cuts were daubed with tar to stop the bleeding.
It must have dried some with time ...But would then have to be be beat out of the wool.

When I was a kid and cut myself I would make a paste of dirt and water to put on it cause I read somewhere this what Indians did.
Wonder I didn't get something.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a kid and cut myself I would make a paste of dirt and water to put on it cause I read somewhere this what Indians did.
Wonder I didn't get something.
Indeed , pine sap would have been more hygienic.Stays on better too...

If a bandaid couldn't cover it up ,you were in deep doo- doo.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread