Old Schoolhouse gives up big silver!!

EdNargel

Aug 30, 2011
Champaign, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to my cousins house today that was a one room schoolhouse from the 1890 to 1945, it has been a private residence since 1952 and has never been detected. Had a great hunt, found my second Walker of the year a 1939, 3 IH's, 2 Mercs, a silver ring and pendant. One of my cooler finds was a medallion from a H.Disston & Sons handsaw dating from 1865 - 1917

Attachments

• relics 10-31 337.jpg
    relics 10-31 337.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 101
  • relics 10-31 338.jpg
    relics 10-31 338.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 99
  • relics 10-31 328.jpg
    relics 10-31 328.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 111
  • relics 10-31 340.jpg
    relics 10-31 340.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice schoolhouse finds. I found several IH's and a Walker at a one room Schoolhouse last year. Amazing how many of them have never been hunted.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! I've looked up old maps of my region and found locations for multiple old one room schoolhouses. I'm hoping that I can get the current residents to allow me on the property. Any advice on how to approach those homeowners? Should a split be offered? I could only hope to find some old silver like that. How deep were your finds averaging?

pumice

Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always cool stuff coming out of the ground........nice finds.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
EdNargel

EdNargel

Aug 30, 2011
Champaign, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! I've looked up old maps of my region and found locations for multiple old one room schoolhouses. I'm hoping that I can get the current residents to allow me on the property. Any advice on how to approach those homeowners? Should a split be offered? I could only hope to find some old silver like that. How deep were your finds averaging?

I was lucky the homeowner was my cousin so it was easy getting permission. As far as asking permission from landowners I just ask
politely and NEVER use the word DIG, I always say that I will cut a plug in the grass, search for the coin then replace any dirt removed and then put the sod back on and it looks like I never was there. It takes the picture of big holes all over their yard out of there mind. Most of the old schools have been demolished around here and the sites are mainly in the corners of farmer's fields, if it's before planting or after harvest most of them don't have a problem with you looking in them. Almost all of the coins were between 4 and 6 inches, but I did dig a IH, Wheatie and a Memorial(?) at around 9 inches. I think the recent rain helped with getting some depth. Oh yah... never offer a split!

Last edited:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on some very nice finds. The '39
Walker half seems to have some nice detail. :thumbsup:
Gold Nuggets :hello: