NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.M.C. is Union Metallic Cartridge co. They bought out Remington around 1910. I'm not sure when the "New Club" shells were taken out of production, but I think they changed the Headstamp after the buyout. Your shell was made between 1891, to around 1910 most likely. Here's a link with a bit more history, scroll down about a quarter of the way and you'll see Union Metallic

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/nebland/articles/history/shotshells.asp

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this same exact paper shotgun brass tip MD'ing an old 1800's homestead.

loamlandfire

Greenie
May 27, 2007
northeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505 / Teknetics Delta 4000
Found one this week also. Seems there were 3 varieties of this particular shell. The first had a double ring around the primer. The one I found has a starburst type design around the primer. From what I have read the variety I found was the last to me made but was last made in 1911. Found mine about 5 inches deep near an old rotted out clump of tree roots.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm an idiot. I've been chucking these in my trash metal bag thinking they were just from modern hunting, happened to have two from today that survived my chucking UMC No. 12 S G, and A Peter No. 16 Victor. They are all over the place I actually tried to notch them out. What a dumby.

I'm going back to see what I can get.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I found one in my younger days that was all brass, no paper or plastic. As I remember it was 10 gauge. Long gone now. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread