Research Question from somewhat of a newbie

trichmond3256

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2011
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm dieing to find some CW stuff. I know that you HAVE to do your research and I'm willing to do it. I've bought the book on finding Civil War campsites and have read it. I comb through the Official Records for clues but have not been able to find what I would call a "good and probable" site. I've found a couple of definite CW items but nothing of significance.

Can any of you battle-harded veterans school me on some of your techniques? Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

Since I work full-time and generally have many items on the "honey do" list, my time for getting out in the field is limited so, I want to make it count.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

You are going to have to do research like never before. Those that are experienced won't be to willing to share their hard earned locations with just anyone. Heck, they might want to go back there to find something else. Relics aren't dropped any more. Maybe you could hook up with a club that would be willing to help you. Get out and meet some land owners and ask if you could help with the chores for permission to detect.

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
Sandman said:
First Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

You are going to have to do research like never before. Those that are experienced won't be to willing to share their hard earned locations with just anyone. Heck, they might want to go back there to find something else. Relics aren't dropped any more. Maybe you could hook up with a club that would be willing to help you. Get out and meet some land owners and ask if you could help with the chores for permission to detect.
:icon_thumright:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get the Official Civil War Atlas,it's the size of a coffee table but has helped me in locating many place's.Hit the road and start knocking on door's once you've found a probable site.Remember you're not the first one to do this so good luck :thumbsup:

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Hi trichmond, There is always a little/lots luck involved with research, and my first thought would to keep it simple at first, and start at home at your local library and see what your local Historians have to offer.Many old timers love to put their personal family/experiences/ histories /Geneaologies, local lore, on record.Check old maps/roads, ferries, campgrounds,etc. to see if there is any mention of any CW ,or 1812 military activity mentioned. It need not be a battle or a campground. With any activity there it would have involved the period roads/ferries/ and that would almost for sure amount to an occasional campsite. Even a one nite camp would amount to items being lost or disposed of. Using old maps and a little imagination, I have located and hunted 5 different ferry crossings that were used by Andrew Jackson's troops in 1815, one of which was used also by CW soldiers, who camped there for a period of time.I have learned plenty more that I have not yet hunted. Any military activity, even though limited , will likely be mentioned somewhere in your local histories. If it did happen a little luck may point you to it.. Good Luck and HH. Cass

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just sent you a message that can help you out. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread