Old U.S. coin disc. readings comparative to modern coins?

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Has anyone seen a scale that places older coins comparative to more modern ones anywhere for where they disc. out?

My main search is for older coins and I've been trying in vain to find anything online about how older coins fit into the scale of readings compared to 20th-century coins. There are some areas where I can dig everything but much of where I search after 400 years of civilization has a ton of trash, particuarly the bane of detectors, the ubiquitous pulltab. I have a few older coins I can test with (Morgan , mercury, indian, etc.) but have no idea where things like a half-dime, half-cent, two- or three-cent coins, etc. would disc. out. coinfacts.com gives the metallic content and weight of coins, so I could probably calculate all this out--and still may--but I'm hoping in the meantime to find something someone else has already assembled.

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and Welcome!
You may want to try asking this question in the Tesoro board, because the readings are different for every brand and model (i.e.: my minelab x-terra 50 #s go from -9 to +45, but even the x-30 and x-70 have different numbering systems). I found a chart like that on the X-terra board at findmall, here's a link for the Tesoro board: http://www.findmall.com/list.php?17
good luck!
Lara

S

sendin

Found this web page that has the VDI numbers that are used on the White's detectors for older coins. This may be of some use because you might be able to relate it to the published VDI numbers for more common coins and then fit that in to what is used on your machine.

http://www.coinsnh.com/xlttips.htm

But there is probably an even easier way to do it for your specific machine.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I believe your sidewinder has a disc scale 1-10??? My Cibola actually says iron, 5c etc. I just did this test myself and was shocked!!!! My detector set a 5c will miss a silver war nickel and most older indian heads and small silvers(3c, half dime) and 3cn. I realized that to pick up these coins it had to be set just a hair above iron. On your sidewinder that is probably 2-3???? The only real way to tell is to test it with these coins like I did, because all machines are slightly different. Being set that close to iron you have to dig alot of trash, but you won't miss an old coin either.
Good luck to you!!!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread