Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a loaded question and goes on personal opinion but any help would be appreciated.
I am looking to purchase a new machine around the $1000 mark, mostly for coin hunting.
These are the three I have thought about.
Looking for auto ground balance and ease of use.
I have a Ace 250 now.

Minelab Explorer SE
Whites DFX E-Series
GTI 2500

thanks

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
You know you can't get an unbiased answer with that question. I personally like minelab (I have three and like them all), but that doesn't mean that minelab is the only good detector, just what I chose to buy. I was thinking about getting a DFX or explorer and instead purchased the XT-70. I was so happy with Xterra that when I found a good used Explorer II for sale I jumped on it, then when I wanted to water hunt in the ocean, it was no brainer to get a Excalibur 1000. This is a question you will have to decide on by reading all you can about each of the detectors you have listed. Find out the good and bad in all of them and then decide. Again, everyone is going to tell you to buy brand X because they have one. Good Luck.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmercal said:
You know you can't get an unbiased answer with that question. I personally like minelab (I have three and like them all), but that doesn't mean that minelab is the only good detector, just what I chose to buy. I was thinking about getting a DFX or explorer and instead purchased the XT-70. I was so happy with Xterra that when I found a good used Explorer II for sale I jumped on it, then when I wanted to water hunt in the ocean, it was no brainer to get a Excalibur 1000. This is a question you will have to decide on by reading all you can about each of the detectors you have listed. Find out the good and bad in all of them and then decide. Again, everyone is going to tell you to buy brand X because they have one. Good Luck.

Yes, I realize it's personal opinion and I was just hoping to get any good/bad points that people may have come across or that one is harder to use etc than the others.
Any help will do.... and thanks again

Paul

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly agree with Farmercal on this one, everyone is biased when it comes to detector brands. I personally recommend the Tesoro Cortes (the name that means treasure)! You'll probably get 100 different answers, but whatever you feel comfortable with and gives you confidence is the one for you.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried 2 of the three. Have not tried the Explorer SE but have tried the Explorer II and XS. If I were to buy one of the units you listed today I would try an Explorer SE. The Explorers have the potential to do things others cannot. You do need to learn about them by using them. If you can promise yourself to give every effort to learn it, Go for it.

Ed D.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I have never used any of the Minelabs, but have seen them used. They are very nice machine. In my oppinion they are to heavy for long use and not very balanced. I use a MXT because I didn't need all the bells and whistles of a DFX. I think the MXT is better balanced than the DFX. My suggestion is try to find a dealer who carries all models. Most of the top of the line detectors are all good when you get used to opperating them. Good luck on your decision.

P.S. The MXT is the best of them all ;D ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the GTI is going to be the easiest to learn of the three, and the size feature is cool, but only is reliable to about 6 inches or so ( the size feature that is). it will lack the depth of the explorer by a respectable amount, and will come in slightly less deep than the DFX. there are a wide assortment of coil options available (including the depth multiplier if you ever decide to go cache hunting). it is a bit on the heavy side, as is the explorer. the whites machine is easier on the arm.all three have adjustable ground balance. if it were my $1000, i would go with the explorer and just deal with the learning curve, but for your $1000, considering what you said about ease of use, the GTI is the one that most closely fits your criteria.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Name that means TREASURE!

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 155
D

Desert Rat

It might tip your decision towards the Garret 2500, if you knew they are on sale for $880 at Henderson's metal Detector sales. AND that's with a free 10"x14" coil, case and some other goodies.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Have used two white's machines including the DFX for a couple years and two Minelab Machines(Quattro and Exp II). Have even used a Fisher Coinstrike. My own opinion is that the Exp II is going to be your best choice for coin shooting. Especially if you keep your ACE.

Willy

I'd say the GTI 2500 would be the easiest to use and, with the sizing feature (and depth tied into the sizing.. not assuming a 'coin' sized target like the other detectors) arguably the best coinshooter. I'm not the first to state this, but most coins are found in the first 6 inches. Well, if the sizing is reliable to, at least, 6".. then that's a real bonus. I've found that it will also size an object beyond 6".. if it's larger. When it comes to depth, a lot of the depth claims are a crock insofar as different detectors will do better in different soils; so the 'deepest' detector in one area might very well be near useless in another. I fell into that trap of believing the depth 'hype' a few years ago until I did some pretty rigorous testing. The result.. some detectors panned as shallow turned out to be deepest and vice-versa. This is in, admittedly, highly mineralised ground. If your looking to get a new detector, I'd recommend getting one that's fun to use. Another thing that would probably help is to contact other people in your general area (preferably ones without an ax to grind) and find out what they're using and why. ...Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread