Old weird token with horse on it, Farley Coin, Any ideas.....

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
i went to this 1800's farm house today and come up with this in the front yard. It is copper about the size of a half dollar. It has what looks like a horses head with some strange symbols and one side. The other side looks like the bust of a women wearing a wreath around her head.
I have no idea what it could be.
any information would be great.
Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• token 2.JPG
    token 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 3,700
  • token 1.JPG
    token 1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,802
Upvote 2

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Keith,

Do you have a scanner handy? Can u please post some 300 dpi scans of the "coin" here and on the What Is It forum? It would be good if we can get some good reference scans to try and identify die variations. Thanks.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
4-H said:
CRUSADER said:
creeper71 said:
CRUSADER said:
I seen this in a few post what does tag mean?
Means to tag it, so as to follow it in my unread replies.
It means, "take a guess" LOL
It means I can't be bothered to reply, but Tag gets my posting counts up :laughing9:

SS

clearly you have a lack of understanding why many on here tag posts. (maybe you pay more attention to counts than me, as I have not looked at mine for ages until you mentioned it, seems your hung up on it) :laughing9:

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugotit22 said:
I have read all the responses and I still have no idea what this is. For over a year ive had this thing siting on my dresser and dont knwo what to make of it.
I understand what everyone thinks it is, but I just wish I could get simple answers
IE
Date of its production,
why it was produced,
Who produced it,
What was it for?
Any answers to these thoughts.
-Keith

since there is so much interest im going to post many different angle photos of it tomorrow
Uhm... I'm just wondering why you haven't sent it to someone - as you had mentioned in one of your early posts? :icon_scratch:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
4-H said:
CRUSADER said:
creeper71 said:
CRUSADER said:
It means I can't be bothered to reply, but Tag gets my posting counts up :laughing9:

SS

clearly you have a lack of understanding why many on here tag posts. (maybe you pay more attention to counts than me, as I have not looked at mine for ages until you mentioned it, seems your hung up on it) :laughing9:
Why are you singling me out :icon_scratch: I replyed to a post, clearly you are feeling guilty ::) your ego is only sumounted by your mouth ;D

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
4-H said:
CRUSADER said:
creeper71 said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

Why are you singling me out :icon_scratch: I replyed to a post, clearly you are feeling guilty ::) your ego is only sumounted by your mouth ;D

SS
I'm dyslectic, whats your problem :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
4-H said:
CRUSADER said:
creeper71 said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

SS
I'm dyslectic, whats your problem :laughing9:
Stalkers :laughing9: I get rid of one :-\ and another crawls from the woodwork :laughing7:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mile-ender said:
ugotit22 said:
I have read all the responses and I still have no idea what this is. For over a year ive had this thing siting on my dresser and dont knwo what to make of it.
I understand what everyone thinks it is, but I just wish I could get simple answers
IE
Date of its production,
why it was produced,
Who produced it,
What was it for?
Any answers to these thoughts.
-Keith

since there is so much interest im going to post many different angle photos of it tomorrow
Uhm... I'm just wondering why you haven't sent it to someone - as you had mentioned in one of your early posts? :icon_scratch:
There is nobody to send it to. The coin is from the 19th century or early 20th. Nobody knows why it was made but it is NOT an ancient coin. It does however have value as a curiosity item. Its commonly called a Farley coin. Value possibly $100.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I may also suggest instead of cluttering the thread with bickering, that makes TN look bad, the best solution is just to report to the moderator. Jeff does a great job. Dont get into a pissing contest. It took me years to learn this myself.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ugotit22,

Did u ever post the pics you were going to post? Some 300 DPI or higher scans might work better in trying to id the possible die variations - would be nice if the other finders would post similar scans so we can have a look. Maybe someone here can catalog the pics for us so we can approach this a bit more methodically. :dontknow:

cartage

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Portland Oregon and found one of these exact coins in a late- 1800's site. I also spoke with professor Mark M. who wants to do a small excavation on the site I found the coin. Unfortunately I did not know what it was at first and mine was thickly encrusted so I soaked it in vegetable oil for months, that did not do much, so I soaked it in vinegar and you will see how it cleaned up very well as you can now see all the detail to show it is exactly like the Gloria Farley coins! Mark M. said I have found the farthest west one known to date! The coin is thick in the middle and thins toward the edges. It is now sitting in the cleaned condition you see it in in a safety deposit box:) I found it metal detecting and it does have the hole in the top which you an see had a little bronze loop that is still filling the hole. I would love to sell mine but I am waiting until they gain more popularity as I know Mark M. said he is writing a book on them and since there are so few I know they will be valuable some day! horsey.jpg head1.jpg horsey1.jpg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am from Portland Oregon and found one of these exact coins in a late- 1800's site. I also spoke with professor Mark M. who wants to do a small excavation on the site I found the coin. Unfortunately I did not know what it was at first and mine was thickly encrusted so I soaked it in vegetable oil for months, that did not do much, so I soaked it in vinegar and you will see how it cleaned up very well as you can now see all the detail to show it is exactly like the Gloria Farley coins! Mark M. said I have found the farthest west one known to date! The coin is thick in the middle and thins toward the edges. It is now sitting in the cleaned condition you see it in in a safety deposit box:) I found it metal detecting and it does have the hole in the top which you an see had a little bronze loop that is still filling the hole. I would love to sell mine but I am waiting until they gain more popularity as I know Mark M. said he is writing a book on them and since there are so few I know they will be valuable some day! View attachment 628207 View attachment 628208 View attachment 628209

Wow thanks for posting. I thought this subject about the Gloria Farley coins was dead.

While your coin has great corrosion, its late 1800s maybe and very interesting but not Phoenician. The fuss about it may make it worth whatever someone is willing to pay. We will call yours the OREGON FARLEY COIN and its the only coin found out west. I think this is the original thread. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/141410-ancient-coin-updated-more-pics.html Somewhere in the middle, I contacted Professor M. and I posted his reply.

Can you tell us the outcome of the dig? Is he really writing another book?

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I have been directed here by BCH from Bigdogdads thread and have only quickly scanned this thread but will comment! Rare fakes can be worth a lot if money when accompanied with documentation. Recently a Winchester 73 was sold at auction as a fake one of a thousand engraved model along with a magazine article that wrongly displayed it as being a fine example of the rifle. I recall it sold for $60,000 when the auction valued it in the $20-30,000 range. While the average for a regular Winchester 73 in the same condition can be had for $15-20 thousand. ( my recollection may be a bit off!)

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to map dowse for the Washington State Farley!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Its an old and interesting thread and Im rereading it now. Here is a list of Farley coins known by the state they were found in. I may be missing one. Those Phoenician explorers sure got around.

ALABAMA,
ARKANSAS,
WISCONSIN,
MASSACHUSETTS,
MAINE,
KANSAS,
PENNSYLVANIA,
NEBRASKA,
GEORGIA
CONNECTICUT
CESHIRE CONNECTICUT
OREGON

Professor M. has flown to Oregon for the dig? Does he know something that we dont? Should I send him a PM?

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks BigCy, I really like to laugh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread