Older Garretts

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Older Garrett's

I'm new here guys and would appreciate your thoughts on my old machine. I have an ADS III that is pretty old. Haven't used it (or MDed) in about ten years, but thinking about getting back into it as soon as it warms up here. Not sure if I want to spend money on a new one until I see how the old one's working and if I will stick to it. I paid something like $450 for it about 22 or 23 years ago, and also bought a two-box Bloodhound attachment at that time (which I still haven't used). So, what do you think?

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
Re: Older Garrett's

i never owned an ads111 but did have an ads 5 i don't remember what the difference in them was but the five was a good machine heavy and used quite a few nine volt batteries it was good in its day but the newer machines are much lighter deeper and more sensitive to smaller gold and silver.i would recommend you try an ace 250.they only cost a couple hundred dollars and if you decide you do not want to stay in the hobby you can get most of your money back if you sell it.it has many more features than your older garrett lighter deeper and only uses four aa batteries.that's just my opinion.happy hunting.
ernie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember the ADS III. I still have my ADS 7 and though it isn't as old as yours, mine works. But it is heavy compared to today's detectors. If you are not sure if you will stay with the hobby I would stick with the oldie. However, I think you would really enjoy todays detectors. If you have a dealer near you, check out the Garrett ACE 250, or check out the Garrett website.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
C

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend

Thanks for the input guys. For a couple hundred dollars I may try that Ace 250. How does the discrimination on that unit compare to my dinosaur?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread