Oldest coin find to date!

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all! I just wanted to pop in and say I found my oldest coin to date! We have had some rain recently, so I decided to go door knocking. I found this one place that looked like it was built in the 1920's, so I asked permission. I got it for the front yard only, so I went to work at it.

I found the odd coin here and there, all clad. I even found two Wheaties (1944 & 1946). I ran my coil under a shrubbery and got a strong, erratic signal, mostly good, and about three inches deep. In the hole were two nickels and three pennies, all made in the 1960's, and a 1966 Australian twopence. I scanned the hole again with my pinpointer and got a low, level beep. Standing practically on edge, I pulled out a thin disc with a square hole. I know the style and figured it a Chinese coin. While digging the coins, I kept finding what looked like a nylon-esque material. I am guessing that it maybe held all the coins.

After I got home, I carefully cleaned the dirt off the Chinese coin and confirmed that it was a Chinese coin. Doing some digging, I believe I have pinned down the time frame of the coin. It was made during the reign of Sheng Tsu, who ruled from 1662-1722! This is by far the oldest coin I have ever found, and it's made my week. :headbang:

sheng_tsu.jpg

Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that coin had to be a surprise!. Awesome find.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Just had to pull these out. Yes I found them all. In one of my grandfather's screw and washer bin in his garage. I think he used them for washers. I looked them up when I found them and there fairly common. But they are old. DSCF0557.JPG

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz Mr Rogers on a fun hunt and your oldest coin!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YET TO FIND ONE . NEAT FIND .

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I just wanted to pop in and say I found my oldest coin to date! We have had some rain recently, so I decided to go door knocking. I found this one place that looked like it was built in the 1920's, so I asked permission. I got it for the front yard only, so I went to work at it.

I found the odd coin here and there, all clad. I even found two Wheaties (1944 & 1946). I ran my coil under a shrubbery and got a strong, erratic signal, mostly good, and about three inches deep. In the hole were two nickels and three pennies, all made in the 1960's, and a 1966 Australian twopence. I scanned the hole again with my pinpointer and got a low, level beep. Standing practically on edge, I pulled out a thin disc with a square hole. I know the style and figured it a Chinese coin. While digging the coins, I kept finding what looked like a nylon-esque material. I am guessing that it maybe held all the coins.

After I got home, I carefully cleaned the dirt off the Chinese coin and confirmed that it was a Chinese coin. Doing some digging, I believe I have pinned down the time frame of the coin. It was made during the reign of Sheng Tsu, who ruled from 1662-1722! This is by far the oldest coin I have ever found, and it's made my week. :headbang:

sheng_tsu.jpg

A couple years ago I found the exact same coin! Being on the Canadian prairies, I couldn't believe I found a 17th century coin. Mine was between the railroad tracks and the old hotel. Most likely dropped by a Chinese railroad worker in the 1890's.

Congrats on a really cool find, and getting the correct ID...there are so many different types out there haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions