santurinos

Greenie
Dec 26, 2010
South-West Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum - Omega 8000 -10" -11” DD - 5” DD - Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a new MD for different targets like coins, gold prospecting, relic hunting.
At the moment I am learning about the OMEGA 8000 from Teknetics.
I am aware that some Fishers Gold bug’s and Tek are the same family (almost) with many similar options.
Of course, the Garrett AT Pro is a very impressive machine and I am confident about their service and quality as well.

Omega overwhelmed me with the simplicity of operation, clear and uncomplicated.
I would add the 11” DD coils and the 5” Biaxial Search Coil to get closer to a universal MD for different tasks.
What about the op-frequency. The Omega runs with 7.8 kHz (Fisher GB pro has 19 kHz)
Do you have some experience with this MD? Would this be a good solution for what I am looking for? Nothing is perfect – I know.
This will be my second MD – this time I’ll do my homework before the purchase…

Thank you for all your help - Y’all take care - have a nice day – Dianne and Walter.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got a good start with your list of your needs. You should try to figure out priorities and budget including additional coils if needed. Is gold prospecting or relic hunting really important or just a side thing? If it is a priority then a G2 or Gold Bug Pro would probably be a better choice than the Omega. A small coil is the logical choice for gold hunting. Either of those also do quite well as coin and relic machines. They are also similar in feel and controls to the Omega. I have found the Omega more prone to electrical interference problems than the Gold Bug Pro. All three of these can share the 11 and 5 inch coils. The GB has an S shaped rod and the G2 has rod like the Omega configuration. The Omega has icons to indicate potential targets according to the TID but the G2 and GB only display a number. It that important to you or not? The First Texas Products (Fisher and Teknetics) have 5 year warranty only for the first buyer and is not transferable. You can save some buying a used unit but you may not get warranty coverage. Other brands vary in their policies. Hopefully answering some of these questions will help you trim down your shopping list. Try to try one out at a dealer or find someone local that would meet up and let your try their detector. Once you get a little clearer understanding of what you need the choices will become more apparent.

As for the AT Pro I have not used one. It does an one distinct feature with it's being waterproof so it might be a good choice if you like to hunt in bad weather.

OP
OP
santurinos

santurinos

Greenie
Dec 26, 2010
South-West Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum - Omega 8000 -10" -11” DD - 5” DD - Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimbog said:
... You should try to figure out priorities and budget including additional coils if needed. Is gold prospecting or relic hunting really important or just a side thing? If it is a priority then a G2 or Gold Bug Pro would probably be a better choice than the Omega. A small coil is the logical choice for gold hunting. Either of those also do quite well as coin and relic machines. They are also similar in feel and controls to the Omega...

Thank you Jimbog,
You obviously know about MD’s – thank you for your contribution.

My problem is: I simply don’t know what my priority will be – I am a beginner in this hobby.
On our 165 farm, the MD should be able to detect relics, we have lots of Indian artifacts and remains of the civil war (close to fort Perry, Ga)
On the other hand, we would like to spend some time at the beaches in Florida and visiting the North Georgia mountains with our new camper.
I hope to be able and reduce my work this year as much as possible and spend a bit more time (whatever is left…) with my hobbies.
The G2 works on the higher frequencies like GB, I most likely will try this unit.
Well – I am still reading, evaluating and listening to friendly folks like you!

Thanks for your help - have a nice day – Dianne and Walter.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
santurinos said:
Jimbog said:
... You should try to figure out priorities and budget including additional coils if needed. Is gold prospecting or relic hunting really important or just a side thing? If it is a priority then a G2 or Gold Bug Pro would probably be a better choice than the Omega. A small coil is the logical choice for gold hunting. Either of those also do quite well as coin and relic machines. They are also similar in feel and controls to the Omega...
My problem is: I simply don’t know what my priority will be – I am a beginner in this hobby.
On our 165 farm, the MD should be able to detect relics, we have lots of Indian artifacts and remains of the civil war (close to fort Perry, Ga)
On the other hand, we would like to spend some time at the beaches in Florida and visiting the North Georgia mountains with our new camper.
I hope to be able and reduce my work this year as much as possible and spend a bit more time (whatever is left…) with my hobbies.
The G2 works on the higher frequencies like GB, I most likely will try this unit.
We're all beginners at some point and with new machines as they come out. I was into detecting and dropped it for 15 years to raise kids. Now I'm a newbie all over again. It sounds like you are on the right track.

From what I have read the G2 is a decent beach machine too. I understand the white beaches in Florida are less of a challenge than the sand on the east coast but it sounds like the G2 will handle all of the beach conditions. The GB Pro and the G2 are almost clones so call around try to find your best deal and consider a 2 coil package. The little coil is great in iron infested or trashy areas and the 11 inch coil is just a great all around performer. I typically use the 11 inch coil the majority of the time. There is a current discount offer to buy a new Tek or Fisher detector by 1/15/10 and be able to buy coils for $75 direct from the factory.

I'm jealous over that big farm to search!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
santurinos,

I am a dealer for Teknetics and Fisher. Maybe I can help. The Omega is said my many as the most underrated machine out there for the money. It excels as a general purpose machine. It will do coins, jewelry, relics and decent on small stuff. It comes with a 10" concentric coil that's really good. You can also get an 11" DD coil that allot of guys prefer since it singles out targets better. You can also get a 5" coil for REALLY trashy areas. there are packages out to get the machine and 1 or 2 extra coils that are really good deals. Tek is also doing an extra coil for $75 with a coupon you can print off my website store.

The G2 is a GREAT machine for trash. It has 2 processors that make it recover faster that the F-75 some say. It was designed to do gold but tons of people are finding its one heck of a coin finder in heavy iron since it recovers so fast and discriminates so well. It also would be eligible for the $75 coil.

If you have any other ? contact me on my site or just call. Always nice to talk detectors. My wife just ignores me when I talk about them... ha ha
Bart Davis
bigboyshobbies.net
[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread