• spur.JPG
    spur.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 402

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the omega usually comes with a 10" sort of eliptical looking concentric coil simaler to the fisher f-70

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Concerning over 90% of the coins being pennies, some thoughts/questions:

Is it an elementary school? Were you detecting near the building or does the school have sports fields? Is there an outdoor concessions stand, or vending machines inside? Do the kids pay for lunch with coins?

There are many areas kids go that adults don't. Or kids are doing the type of activities that more likely result in coin loses that what adults would be doing.

Pennies may be more likely thrown away than quarters, which are more likely to be accidental losses.

Inflation: Parents may be less likely to give their kids money. Or if vending machines are in school a 12 oz soda pop may have gone up from 75c to $1, so no change. Or a 20 oz soda pop may have gone from $1.50 to $1.75 or $2

Is the income of the townspeople relatively low? You can compare household incomes to nearby towns at www.city-data.com

A badly corroded penny on some detectors seems too wide in pinpoint to be a coin, more like a can, so may be undug.

Are most of the pennies zinc (1st made in '82)? Many detectorists don't bother to dig them. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
D

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
I am detecting at a sports field behind a school.It is an above average income area. There is not alot of other detectorists in this area. Seems like alot of pennies in relation to other coins.

Digging41

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I wonder if somebody came through there that dug only those coins that read above zinc? I do agree with you that those higher denominations had to be lost at such a site. Or somebody had a cheap detector & detected hurriedly, grab-bing the edges of quarter signals & such?

I wonder if there could be a spot there where kids set down their possessions before playing? Wonder if the area ever had a portable concession wagon?

My dad & I were detecting a small town 30+ years ago. I'm going over the football field, getting nothing for quite some time & ready to suggest leaving. Then my dad comes up to me & shows me silver. So we detect the ball diamond next to the football field & come up with $5 face in silver coins 1"-2" deep. Apparently the football fans sat on the BB diamond as popcorn boxes all over. On leaving we see the popcorn wagon near the entrance/exit.

If the sports field is used by players in uniform, the uniforms may not have pockets. If a field is used mostly for practice games & informal play by small kids, maybe not too many spectators.

Some detectorists specialize in sports fields. I was detecting BB diamonds at an elementary school. Cleaned out! Then I start detecting near the building & coins all over. Same thing at a park. Nothing by/on BB diamond, so I move a bit & get a few dollars in an hour.

I had a frustrating experience detecting a football stadium at a high school. While the suburb had good above average income, it also had many kids from poor families. Dozens & dozens of pennies, almost no other coins. Just thinking it had to be cherry-picked. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread