OMG!! I Found A Seated Half Dollar!!! (UPDATE: Photos of Cleaned Half)

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I'm so ecstatic right now, I can hardly think. I still can't believe I found my oldest American coin today and it's a half dollar. It was a very hot day today (101 degrees), and I didn't know how long I was going to detect this afternoon. I stayed under the shade of the oak trees, finding about 6 wheaties. Then as the sun was going down, I ventured into an open area of the park. In a few minutes, I had my first silver coin, a mercury dime, hiding next to iron. I said, "Great, I got a silver"! I was happy to just leave at that time, but decided to swing a little more. About 15 minutes later, that's when it happened. When I detected the target, I thought maybe at best it was a deep clad quarter. I had pulled wheats/memorials from 7" at this meadow in the park before. The target was hiding in an iron patch of turf. My SE was nulling quite a bit. Then all of a sudden, bang!! I hear the threshold come back, followed by the sound of a coin. The depth meter was about halfway down, so I really didn't think that it could be something really good. When I made the plug and took some dirt out, I just then realized it was deeper than I expected. At about 7", out pops this white disk. I knew it was silver. My first glance was the back of the coin, which was an eagle. My hand was shaking. I turned the coin over and saw the lady liberty sitting. My eyes nearly came out of their sockets. :o I was in disbelief. I just stared at the coin for a while. I took a clad quarter out of my pouch for size comparison. Yep, it was a half; an 1858 O seated half dollar. This is my oldest American coin find to date, and also my first ever seated coin. I then got up and started doing the happy dance.... Then I started calling all my md'ing buddies to tell them of my find. We've all detected this part of the meadow countless numbers of times. Ron(CA), remember the '64 rosie you pulled from that meadow that was hiding next to iron? Well, the seated half was about 20' from that spot. The coin was being masked by iron all around. I checked the area around the hole, and verified this was the case. I've pulled some mercs, rosies, Indian heads, and 1 barber dime from this area before. I could never believe there would be a seated half yet to be found.

The coin has good detail, but is definitely oxidized. I will take a photo of it the way I found it. Should I use electrolysis on it?? I would love to see it all cleaned up, but will just leave it as is for now.

This find just keeps reinforcing the fact that no matter how many times we swing our detectors over the same areas, there are still great coins that haven't been found yet right under our feet. Just maybe next time, we'll find one. Well, today was my day to find that elusive coin. I'm on cloud 9!! ;D

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• seated_half_front_083107.jpg
    seated_half_front_083107.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,315
  • seated_half_083107.jpg
    seated_half_083107.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,318
  • size_comparison (800 x 662).jpg
    size_comparison (800 x 662).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • seated_back_cleaned (480 x 483).jpg
    seated_back_cleaned (480 x 483).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 715
  • seated_front_cleaned (450 x 455).jpg
    seated_front_cleaned (450 x 455).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 705
Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Re: OMG!! I Found A Seated Half Dollar!!!

:o :o :o :o Yep, 4 big WOW's for you Dan. Did you find her at G Park or the other one out in the Valley? Congrads my friend and I'm sitting on pins and needels just waiting to see what you pull out next! Post new pic's when you get her cleaned up. HH

Desertfox

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AWESOME!

Nat

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Excellent find!! Since it is not an exceptionally valuable coin I would...

KirkPA said:
metalev4 said:
Run it under warm water and then rub a little baking soda on the coin. It will clean up nice and you dont have risk of screwing it up with electrolysis. This is what I do to my non valuable silver and they clean up nicely witout damaging the coin in any way.
-Ev

Dan, don't do this. It makes the coin look fake. Do the electrolysis on it! I can't wait to see the new pics of the cleaned coin. Great find, buddy!

I agree with Kirk on this one. I would check it after about every 10 seconds to make sure you don't over do it. I hope I am right but I suspect that half is in better condition than you can tell right now because of all the crud on it. That's a beautiful find. You deserved that one!

DANGLANGLEY

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI

Wonderful find!!!! :)

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005

hey cool find on the seated half . never know what you will find even if the aera has been detected hard . i go to my same spot over and over

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

great find! if you do decide to buzz it just be carefull. its easy to over do it. there is another method that involves aluminum foil baking soda and water (hot water). you loosely wrap the coin in the foil, mix a couple of tablespoons of the soda with some water and bring it to a boil. then submerge the foil wrapped coin in the hot solution and let it do its thing. you should begin to see bubbles of aluminum sulphide gas coming up from the coin, not a lot of bubbles but every once in a while. it should also have that rotten egg sulphur smell to it. thats the tarnish loosening from the coin. after that, a gentle rinse in some water ought to bring that baby back to life. try it on a non valuable coin first to see how it works. if it were mine though, i might just leave it alone. i usually only clean em when they are so bad i cant ID or date them. either way its your call. again, its a great find!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

KirkPA said:
This deserves another post by KirkPA. You rock, bud!

Thanks, Kirk. I think it deserved to be brought back to the top...IMHO. Pulling a seated half is almost unheard of here in a S. CA. park. I think it's more rare than winning the lottery...hehhehee

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW ! it really doesn't get any better than that one right there !!!!!!!!
i'd love to find one of those ... i keep looking at the picture it is beautiful !!!!

careful trying to clean it, i'd try just dipping it in some silver cleaner first and see what happens

congrats again and thanks for posting it!

vp

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incredible find!!

;) RR

Attachments

• Congratulations0.jpg
    Congratulations0.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 701
  • Congratulations0.jpg
    Congratulations0.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 705

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Captn_SE said:
KirkPA said:
This deserves another post by KirkPA. You rock, bud!

Thanks, Kirk. I think it deserved to be brought back to the top...IMHO. Pulling a seated half is almost unheard of here in a S. CA. park. I think it's more rare than winning the lottery...hehhehee

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

That's why I posted! HH, bud!

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG. Very cool find.

Attachments

• 18.gif
    18.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 621
  • 18.gif
    18.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 623

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow, very nice half :)

HH
-GC

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

That Half Dollar looks very pretty to me!

Great job, Captn! Pullin' silver out of iron is tricky business!

Congratulations!

Ridley

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Niiiiiiice cleaned half, buddy! It looks great. Now, go find another, bud. Oh, it is only 4:35 a.m. where you live. LMAO! Good day to you, dude!

Kirk

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece of silver.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Way to go Kirk,
Nice catch on the cleaning with the baking soda.
May as well use sand paper.

Hollowpointred,
Very good idea for really badly encrusted silver.

Cap SE

Nice half!
Good recovery!!
Very nice.

OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread