On an 1864 streak this season!

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I went back to my favorite 1800's bandstand Tuesday night. The top is not much larger than my living room but the ground slopes away about 20 feet left, right, and front. This little spot has given up serious amounts of coins and jewelry over the past several years including a very nice turn of the century 20k gold ring. I keep thinking we have pounded it clean yet the coins and finds just keep coming.

Tuesday night was no different. I decided to detect the slope "very" slow as there is ample amounts of trash to pick through. Here's what I found, a 1900s barber dime that has about 5 cents worth of silver left. My second 1864L pointed bust IH for the season! And drum roll an 1864 two cent piece, easily the nicest one condition wise I have dug out of about a dozen or so. These are almost always corroded into a crusty mess around here. This was sitting right on the top edge of the slope so my guess is the good drainage protected it. Now they need a peroxide bath which should improve them both.

060606f.jpg

060606b.jpg

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That 2cent piece came out beautifully! Everything around here is corroded as well and finding a nice one is certainly a rarity! Congrats on the 1864L as well!

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Charles
That is a beautiful 2 cent piece. You almost hate to attempt to clean a coin that pretty.
Perhaps an after cleaning photo of that beauty?

HH
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions